We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Hong Kong

1 post
2 reviews
Layover in Hong Kong

I have an 8 hour layover getting into Hong Kong at 7:45 am leaving at 16:05 pm. So roughly 8 hours, I would like to explore the city a little, I've heard the Peak is the place to go and I've heard it's not. Any help on the places to see in Hong Kong in a short layover would be helpful. I'm there during the day so I'm interested in some shopping as well as site seeing.

7 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
24,073 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Layover in Hong Kong

There is a Layover item under top questions on the right side of this page. Yes the Peak is one popular option. Another is the Big Buddha.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
31 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Layover in Hong Kong

The peak is good, however there is always long lines of people and long waiting times! If you want to see HK from the sky try Sky100 in Kowloon and I would say one of the top things to do is Nong Ping 360 Cable Car, its also close to the airport!

3. Re: Layover in Hong Kong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2018, 11:18

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
9,398 posts
4. Re: Layover in Hong Kong

Whether The Peak is good depends very much on the weather. It's high enough to be in the clouds, and especially in winter the pollution is an issue.

For The Peak: take Airport Express to Hong Kong, from there bus 15 to The Peak. That bus takes about an hour, depending on traffic. Normally much shorter line for the Peak Tram going down than going up.

1 post
5. Re: Layover in Hong Kong

I will land in Hong Kong on Jan 18th at 7 pm and leave on jan 19th at 3 pm. Please help recommend where to go, what to do and which hostel should I stay? How to get to the hostel from the airport? Thank you.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Layover in Hong Kong

What wvmarie said - if it is cloudy or heavy fog/overcast the peak is not worth doing - you will see nothing but white stuff.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
9,398 posts
7. Re: Layover in Hong Kong

Good areas for hotel: Kowloon, anywhere from Mongkok to Tsim Sha Tsui around Nathan Road, and Hong Kong Island from North Point to Sai Ying Pun.

To find a suitable hotel: take your budget and travel dates, open up your favourite hotel booking web site, and see what comes out. Go from there.

Getting there from airport: taxi or airport bus or Airport Express+ shuttle - depending on where you stay.

Reply to: Layover in Hong Kong
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted