We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding & using bathrooms while out & about

Seattle
Level Contributor
697 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Finding & using bathrooms while out & about

If you're out & about McDonald's/Burger King have clean, fully equipped bathrooms that you don't need a key to enter. Just Google them on Google maps. There's usually always one around the corner.

If you use a public bathroom in a park or somewhere similar, there is usually a toilet paper dispenser at the entrance but always carry tissues with you just in case. Also, there's usually at least 1 western toilet. Just look through the several stalls to find it. Unless you have already perfected the art of squatting ;-)

23 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding & using bathrooms while out & about

I'm visiting In April with my Wife and 2 Daughters and we were talking about this today. My wife is a bit apprehensive but we visited Thailand with the same conditions. Just takes a tiny bit of planning and just noticing the early 'signs' and it's easy enough to get by. We always carry toilet paper and 'wet wipes' with us

Seattle
Level Contributor
697 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding & using bathrooms while out & about

Good idea to notice the early signs instead of waiting until it's an emergency. Hong Kong is not so bad. Beijing & Shanghai were much worse.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding & using bathrooms while out & about

Other options are shopping malls and hotels.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,952 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding & using bathrooms while out & about

While in most places of the world I'd go to McDonald's for clean toilets, in Hong Kong that's where they're often the dirtiest. Most public toilets easily outshine your average McDonald's toilet in this city.

Shopping mall toilets, when accessible (often enough ran into locked "tenants only" toilets) are generally also pretty clean.

Burger King is rare in Hong Kong (there are just a few of them).

Seattle
Level Contributor
697 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding & using bathrooms while out & about

We must have gotten lucky as the 3 different McDonald's bathrooms we used were cleaned. Yes, we did run into locked bathrooms ("tenants only") into a mall after going through what seemed to be quite a maze to find the bathroom. That was a big disappointment. For us, looking for McDonald's has been more successful.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,989 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding & using bathrooms while out & about

My experiences with the McDonald's bathrooms had been very bad. It depends on the location. Go to the ones in the busiest corner in Mong Kok it may change your assessment.

Bathrooms in hotels are consistently good, especially 5-star ones. I would walk a little extra to use them.

Bathrooms in big restaurants are usually okay.

Bathrooms in malls depend on your luck. Some are locked some aren't.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5,400 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finding & using bathrooms while out & about

>>> Bathrooms in malls depend on your luck. Some are locked some aren't.

It's not hard to find a mall that is not locked... Toilets at MTR malls (the malls attached to a MTR station) almost always not locked... and over 70% of MTR stations have a mall attached to it!

Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
220 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finding & using bathrooms while out & about

I would not rely on MTR toilets. My experience is that there may only be one public toilet in a huge station, and you will need a map to find it and/or help from the MTR staff. It might be a 10 minute walk away up or down two levels, in the worst case. Some of the 'public' toilets turned out to be behind locked doors with no signs at all, and the door had to be opened with a key by station staff.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,952 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Finding & using bathrooms while out & about

The former KCR lines have toilets - that is all stations of East Rail Line, West Rail Line and Ma On Shan Line. They're usually pretty decent but with the constant super high usage like in Kowloon Tong it's very hard to keep them clean, even with near-continuous cleaning going on.

Mongkok nowadays also has public toilets.

Most other stations indeed not.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,522 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finding & using bathrooms while out & about

A number of MTR stations have toilets within the station premises for public use, as shown on this list where it's marked "Station toilets for public use".

mtr.com.hk/en/…nearbytoilet.html

In case of emergency, you can request station staff to let you use their toilets.

Reply to: Finding & using bathrooms while out & about
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted