We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring the inside of the pyramid

Level Contributor
42 posts
Touring the inside of the pyramid
Save

Hello fellow travelers 🧳 Have any of you climbed inside of the pyramids ? Is it worthwhile? I am very claustrophobic, however, I am really tempted to brave this.

8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
445 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Touring the inside of the pyramid
Save

No need at all since no paintings, no colors or anything to see. Only the burial chamber with an empty sarcophagus inside. Corridor is so tiny, you will have to crawl and it is 2 way one small corridor for those going inside and outside of it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
20 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: Touring the inside of the pyramid
Save

I enjoyed going the insides of the pyramids I visited but, if you’re seriously claustrophobic, it’s hard to recommend it. The passageways can be very narrow and the visitors is well aware of being enclosed in a mammoth stone structure. That said, lots of people do it and only you can decide where your interest outweighs your claustrophobia.

Spokane Valley...
Level Contributor
477 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Touring the inside of the pyramid
Save

If I may add and ask...I've also heard it gets very hot in them. I'm already gonna have a tough time acclimating to the hot weather, I don't want to make it even worse by getting even more heat. Can anyone else attest to this?

Though I've seen videos of the inside of the great pyramid, and it does look quite impressive. I wonder if it could be worth it near the end of a day tour.

Edited: 26 August 2021, 22:08
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
20 reviews
24 helpful votes
4. Re: Touring the inside of the pyramid
Save

The fact that there are no paintings is just a small part of a much larger story. You can, for example, see the Pyramid Texts (among the oldest religious writings in the world) carved on the walls of the the Fifth/Sixth Dynasty pyramids at Sakkara. It’s fascinating. As for crawling, it depends on the pyramids you visit. You usually have to bend over quite a bit but there’s often no need to crawl. If it’s open, Khafre’s pyramid at Giza is, by comparison, a relatively easy visit.

I can’t remember feeling especially hot while inside of any pyramid.

Why would you visit the inside of a pyramid after a days’s touring? You will be tired, probably hot and facing your claustrophobia.

Edited: 26 August 2021, 22:14
Spokane Valley...
Level Contributor
477 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Touring the inside of the pyramid
Save

Thank you! That's interesting. I just figured if I did it near the end so that I wasn't drained and such after doing so at the beginning/earlier in the day, thus being pretty out of it for the rest of the day at the Pyramids.

Edited: 26 August 2021, 22:20
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
20 reviews
24 helpful votes
6. Re: Touring the inside of the pyramid
Save

RE #3 • Sorry, I misread and thought you were the original poster. So forget the “claustrophobia” bit. That said, I would still go inside Khufu’s Pyramid ((or any of the others) when you’re feeling relatively fresh. There’s a lot of climbing etc and visiting the inside of a pyramid can be tiring in and of itself. You might as well do it when you can appreciate it.

Spokane Valley...
Level Contributor
477 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Touring the inside of the pyramid
Save

That makes sense. To bring this thread back around, would you recommend going inside Sakkara for those who are claustrophobic? Or could it be worse if it's narrower than the bigger ones? I'm also interested in going in Sakkara instead of the big ones since there's reportedly less tourists at Sakkara.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,292 posts
20 reviews
24 helpful votes
8. Re: Touring the inside of the pyramid
Save

I don’t know when you’re going but I gather there aren’t many tourists at any of the sites and I doubt Giza will be overly crowded for the foreseeable future. However, Sakkara will be less crowded.

Teti’s pyramid at Sakkara has the Pyramid Texts but, if claustrophobia is a serious issue, this may not be the best choice. As I said, Khafre’s pyramid at Giza is perhaps the easiest overall.

You might also consider visiting The Red Pyramid at Dahshur. (Again, there’s not likely to be many tourists.) It’s a bit of a climb but not too claustrophobic. It’s the world’s first geometrically true pyramid and was the architectural precursor of the Great Pyramid at Giza.

Reply to: Touring the inside of the pyramid
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Giza
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.