We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing masks outdoors? (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray)

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
47 reviews
50 helpful votes
Wearing masks outdoors? (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray)
Save

We have (maybe had) and upcoming trip planned to Dubai staying at the Jumeirah Zabeel Saray and they are advising you need to wear a mask when on the sun-loungers by the pool and on the beach as ‘the wearing of masks is as per the Dubai municipality rules’.

This seems absolutely ridiculous. Does anyone know if this is correct?

TIA

13 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol City, Cyprus
Level Contributor
52,429 posts
35 reviews
111 helpful votes
1. Re: Wearing masks outdoors? (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray)
Save

Not on a sunbed or whilst swimming but good h from sunbed into hotel and up to room yes you do

Paris, France
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Wearing masks outdoors? (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray)
Save

O no this doesn’t sound good. We’re staying at Jumeirah Al Qasr and I don’t fancy wearing a mask while sunbathing. Haven’t heard anything; really can’t see it being true!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
47 reviews
50 helpful votes
3. Re: Wearing masks outdoors? (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray)
Save

This was confirmed while chatting to the hotel via their Facebook messenger page but then chap did seem unsure. I’ve emailed them directly also for an answer.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
47 reviews
50 helpful votes
4. Re: Wearing masks outdoors? (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray)
Save

That would make sense but it was the hotel that advised. I’m pending further information.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
9 reviews
13 helpful votes
5. Re: Wearing masks outdoors? (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray)
Save

Two things.

1) Hotels can always add their own implementation/rules on top of the DM/DTCM policies, Most try and practically balance so as not to upset travellers/guests (or disincentivise). The *general* rule though, is if you're moving around - mask up - whereas if you're static, mask isn't mandatory.

2) There is only one way to get clear information from. a hotel in Dubai, and that's the old-fashioned way of phoning. Email is handled poorly (if at all) and whilst sometimes you may get responses on social media, sometimes they may not operations staff or even they could be 'social media managers' not even aligned with a resort.

Who's to say the information you've be given is correct? I would strongly advise getting on the blower, and speaking to the Duty Manager. The advantage of a call - other than it being answered correctly - is you can ask additional questions there and then, or even try for leverage. For instance, speak with the Manager and if you get the feel it's not the holiday you want, tell them so and say you're thinking of cancelling, how can they make it up to you otherwise?

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for United Arab Emirates
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
9 reviews
13 helpful votes
6. Re: Wearing masks outdoors? (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray)
Save

PS. As a very distant third thing, Jumeirah are notorious for not being consistent, clear or upfront about things, especially if you've via their socials.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
55 reviews
82 helpful votes
7. Re: Wearing masks outdoors? (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray)
Save

I am following this chain, as I wanted to know the same thing. Wearing a mask while on a lounger seems crazy.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
42 reviews
64 helpful votes
8. Re: Wearing masks outdoors? (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray)
Save

Just back from Madinat Jumeirah..

Mask to be worn when moving around anywhere indoors or out is the rule.

They make you sign a form to that effect..........

Sat down at a bar, restaurant, lounger - no need at all.

I adhered 100% indoors, but repeatedly and deliberately didn't wear a mask outdoors (but literally and overtly had it in my hand) and was not once pulled up for it.

The hotel staff warned us that employees of the local health authority have been at times sitting in the hotel lobby watching adherence and have also demanded cctv footage - although this is apparently to fine the hotel more than the individual!

I didn't see anyone not wear a mask indoors once.

Outdoors, adherence was high on buggys / abras / wait points / queues at 80% - 90%

Outdoors, just walking around in non busy areas about 50%

Asking customers to wear a mask when moving round Wild Wadi had a very low adherence, people wore one in the queue to get and then they got ditched.

Rule following / breaking went largely along Nationality and own Country law lines.

Derby
Level Contributor
47 posts
9. Re: Wearing masks outdoors? (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray)
Save

Thanks for update from your visit. Out of interest how are you supposed to wear a mask at Wild Wadi, or do they issue some kind of water proof one?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
47 reviews
50 helpful votes
10. Re: Wearing masks outdoors? (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray)
Save

Hi All

I emailed the hotel who confirmed the below… thank god! I thought it was daft. I also asked them to follow up with whom ever replied to ensure others do not get the wrong info. I’m not against wearing a mask but as a very pale Brit in the Dubai heat I don’t think I could of stood it.

“Further to your enquiry, please be informed the restriction we have in the hotel with the current covid-19 situation. It is mandatory to wear face masks once you are in the public area of the hotel. Hence, while you are on the sunbeds, beach and swimming pool face mask can be remove, also to maintain a physical distance of 2 meters from others.”

Thanks

Reply to: Wearing masks outdoors? (Jumeirah Zabeel Saray)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.