We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brief experience doing umrah in Dec 2023

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
21 reviews
7 helpful votes
Brief experience doing umrah in Dec 2023
Save

Hi, I've read a few similar threads with the same issue re Umrah permits and apps etc. I thought I'd show my experience to possibly ease any concerns people may have.

I had a tourist visa only. I did my first umrah by simply showing the screen shot of the visa (barely checked) then I did subsequent umrahs during my time and never downloaded the Umrah visa. I always simply just showed my tourist visa. A couple of times the guards barely looked. I just showed my phone.

It all was very straightforward and very easy.

I did need a permit to prayer at media riad ul jannah though.

Hope this helps and alleviates some concerns. I do note other people experience was different

7 replies to this topic
1 post
1. Re: Brief experience doing umrah in Dec 2023
Save

Jazakallah. Is infant allowed in ground floor with carry to perform umrah?

FYI it’s dec 2022 not 2023

Level Contributor
55 posts
2. Re: Brief experience doing umrah in Dec 2023
Save

Jzk, did you see any people doing tawaaf with backpacks/rucksacks on? Do they let you enter mataaf if you're carrying these? I'd rather do my Umrah straight away than be heading to hotel first to just throw my bag in the room.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mecca, Medina
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
42 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Brief experience doing umrah in Dec 2023
Save

People with backpacks/rucksacks are regarded as extremely selfish.

During tawaf, people are right up against each other and backpacks will constantly be hitting other pilgrims in the body or face.

And trust me, they will physically push you away, push your rucksack and it won't be fun.

Just drop it off at your hotel and take your essentials with you in a simple gym bag, which can sit close to your body/side and not disrupt others

https://www.amazon.com/Vorspack-Drawstring-Backpack-Resistant-Sackpack/dp/B089SPWLF9/ref=zg_bs_2404177011_sccl_13/144-9779459-9693935?psc=1

Edited: yesterday, 17:30
Level Contributor
55 posts
4. Re: Brief experience doing umrah in Dec 2023
Save

I don't wish to cause any issues or difficulties for anybody.

So following what you've mentioned I've decided I won't bring my rucksack into haram.

My flight into Jeddah arrives tomorrow 200 (after a long journey). I'll either get free shuttle or train to Makkah.

Anywhere I can leave bags like a locker near Haram?

my Hotel is M by Millenium Makkah. So looking at nearer 200 by the time I arrive at hotel then go to complete Umrah

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mecca, Medina
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
42 reviews
18 helpful votes
5. Re: Brief experience doing umrah in Dec 2023
Save

To be fair, virtually EVERYONE arriving in Makkah to complete their umrah is also exhausted after a long journey.

And almost everyone will check-in to their hotel, drop their stuff off before heading off the kaaba.

Mixed messages on storage close to the haram. Doesn't look like it's now possible

Edited: yesterday, 20:39
Level Contributor
79 posts
6. Re: Brief experience doing umrah in Dec 2023
Save

Salams

I’ll be arriving after long journey. Once we reach hotel, can we rest for 1-2hrs before going for umrah or it should be immediate?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mecca, Medina
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
42 reviews
18 helpful votes
7. Re: Brief experience doing umrah in Dec 2023
Save

Yes you can

Reply to: Brief experience doing umrah in Dec 2023
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mecca
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.