We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a guide Family + teenagers

Zeist, The...
Level Contributor
117 posts
31 reviews
26 helpful votes
Looking for a guide Family + teenagers
Save

Hi there,

We will be visiting Jerusalem at the end of April, and we have a full day planned to visit the main sites and learn about the (religious) background of the city. We would like to explore the different parts of the city and, if possible, the more off-the-beaten-track parts/sites. We would like to look at Jerusalem from a 'biblical perspective' and understand the deep Jewish and Muslim roots as well.

We traveling with our 3 teens (18-19-21), all are good English (and Dutch) speakers and we are looking for a guide/expert who'd love to share his / her knowledge and passion for the city with us.

Any recommendations? Please share...

Alrik

5 replies to this topic
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
13,596 posts
17 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Looking for a guide Family + teenagers
Save

Only one day in Jerusalem?? Or only one day with a guide?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
48,218 posts
40 reviews
43 helpful votes
2. Re: Looking for a guide Family + teenagers
Save

These posts speak about hiring a guide.

This one gives concrete advice on finding the guide that is best for you. Note although I wrote it years ago, it is still accurate. It also contains the names of many guides

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293977-i1733-k6539778-How_do_you_find_a_good_licensed_guide-Israel.html

This thread has more names.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293977-i1733-k11373478-Updated_list_contact_info_for_private_guides-Israel.html#90410174

Note there are a number of guides who volunteer on this forum.

Oreet-She Is my favorite.

Eyal-Amos R (runner up for my favorite).

Davetheguide.

Moti Bar-Tuv

VisitIsrael( AKA Chana, check BOTH screen names to get a feel for who she is)

Most of them also frequently post. Read their posts to get ideas of their tone, their accuracy and ideas. Check and see if they are adding information to,

the thread or just repeating what others have said.— writing anything just to get their name on the forum. Their posts on the forum may reflect how they guide. If you think they have potential reach out! You are potentially spending significant money. INTERVIEW THEM! (Don’t take my word for it - or the word of anyone else!) Any guide, regardless of how you find them should be interviewed by YOU!

Note: you MUST contact them, via Personal Message, (click their name and their page opens, to the right of their name is a square text box, click that)

Finally, Trip Advisor policy prohibits any guide, service business from soliciting for business. If someone contacts you offering to guide, drive etc. I urge you to a. Not use them and b. Report them. This INCLUDES anyone who uses the forum to announce or strongly hint that they are a guide! That is prohibited self promotion.

7 posts
1 review
3. Re: Looking for a guide Family + teenagers
Save

I have never been to Jerusalem or Israel. But from my plain school knowledge of Jerusalem I can tell you right now it is impossible to see even the main sites in one day. Not even a fairly new and religiously insignificant village like Amsterdam or Brussel can be explored in one day. And to understand the „deep roots“ of Jewish or Muslim history, both, in one day? What would you think of, let’s say, an Australian Traveller, who asks you he‘d come to Amsterdam with thee kids, and wants to see the highlights, all the quarters, some hidden gems and local insights, and wants to learn about Catholicism, Protestantism and Calninism in detail… in ONE DAY…what would you think?

Israel
Level Contributor
356 posts
33 reviews
53 helpful votes
4. Re: Looking for a guide Family + teenagers
Save

I highly recommend Ronen at https://www.yourisraelexpedition.com/ very professional, friendly and accomodating for all tours in Jerusalem and throughout Israel.

Feel free to ask if you need any help with ideas.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,916 posts
246 reviews
229 helpful votes
5. Re: Looking for a guide Family + teenagers
Save

A family from my church in Cincinnati recently used Eyal Amos Reuven as a guide, and they LOVED him! While Katherine's two sons are now young men, not kids, they particularly raved about him. Full disclosure: Eyal is now not only a guide I used but a close friend, but he was my tour guide (and poster on this Forum) BEFORE we became friends, so my recommendation is based on those early, arm's-length professional experiences. He does very well with families, and I think you'd be pleased.

I agree with the others -- one day is NOT enough time to experience Jerusalem in any depth at all. My first trip in 1988, a solo journey, had me in Jerusalem for one of my two weeks in the country, and I still only experienced some of it. I am coming on trip # 20 in March and still still be seeing new things (touring with Eyal for two days on this upcoming trip, and I am not one to use tour guides all the time). Allocate more time if you can.

Have a wonderful visit!

Douglas Duckett

Reply to: Looking for a guide Family + teenagers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.