We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lantern festival or Mekong daytrip

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Lantern festival or Mekong daytrip
Save

Hi, i am thinking to arrive to Hoi An one day earlier as planned, just to catch Lantern Festival on 4 April. But that would mean to drop Mekong daytrip from HCMC, which i planned initially. I am also thinking that this might be better due to south being hotter in April and some people saying that Mekong just for a day is not really enough. My question is should i drop Mekong delta daytrip, just to see Lantern Festival?

4 replies to this topic
Palawan Island...
Level Contributor
15,105 posts
1,121 reviews
351 helpful votes
1. Re: Lantern festival or Mekong daytrip
Save

We were in Hoi An for 4 nights during December, inc the lantern festival. The lantern festival was not much difference than any other night but more boats and lanterns on the river, some ceremonies at the temples. Each evening there are many boats with lantetns on the river and buildings with lanterns by the river. On the other hand a day tour of Mekong delta is not really enough, so make your own judgement

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,541 posts
2. Re: Lantern festival or Mekong daytrip
Save

Agree with “make your own judgement”!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Salta, Bolivia, Peru
Level Contributor
9,891 posts
346 reviews
184 helpful votes
3. Re: Lantern festival or Mekong daytrip
Save

A day in the Mekong is not really enough. A trip to Ben Tre and a boat ride around the small canals visiting some of the cottage industries - brick making, candy, coconut processing would be my choice and preferable to an extra day in Hoi An.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,079 posts
366 reviews
119 helpful votes
4. Re: Lantern festival or Mekong daytrip
Save

Hoi An 2D/2N is sufficient and Mekong Delta daytrip is not worth the effort. Mekong delta activity starts very early in the morning and as early as 5am or so. Day trip would be seeing the tail end of it, not worth the time and money.

Reply to: Lantern festival or Mekong daytrip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.