We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poon Hill Trek late October

4 posts
Poon Hill Trek late October

Hi,

Me and my dad will travel to Nepal for a 10 day trip in a week. We arrive on 19 October late and get a hotel in Kathmandu. We want to stay there for 3 nights max, then fly early to Pokhara on 22 October. We want to do the Poon Hill Trek 23-26 October. Then fly back to KTM 28 October and to Europe on 29 October.

I've been reading some previous topics, but still I'm not sure so I just ask my questions here:

1. I read that there's no need to prebook the domestic flight online. But can we just go to the airport and book the KTM - Pokhara flight on 22 October itself if we want to fly in the morning? Or do I need to do this in advance? And if in advance, do I need to do it at the airport or can my hotel staff take care of it as well (we book a decent hotel)?

2. If we arrive in Pokhara on 22 October with no trek booked, can we arrange everything for a Poon Hill Trek starting on 23 October? Or is that time too short? We want a guide + carrier (Can that be the same person??), permits, gear (we got most of the stuff ourselves but might still need a few extras), etc. Can it also be fully booked everywhere and will we need to book it in advance/ is there a chance we can only start on like a day later or so?

3. I've been trying to find out about temperatures and rain, but the results differ. I think most of the rain is over, but do we still need raincoats? What about temperature, am I correct that it won't drop below like 10 degree Celcius, or will it get colder towards Poon Hill? And if needed, can I hire a jacket in Pokhara that can help me both to protect myself from rain and can keep myself warm all trek? I'm quite tall (& skinny), but I only have like winter coats here which seems unpractical and heavy to carry with me on the trip.

4. I've got a decent sleeping bag, but my dad doesn't and he's ready to buy one which he will probably only need for these 4 days and will never use anymore (my dad is 77, still physically fit but doing this together is a one time thing we want to do and I don't see him making a trip or do a trek like this again to be honest). I read about good blankets in the places that you end up during the trek and also the possibility to hire a decent sleeping bag in Pokhara. So I should tell him to not buy a sleeping back in advance, right?:P

5. We fly out from KTM on 29 October around 21:00. Is it wise to stay in Pokhara till 29 October and get ourselves a morning flight from Pokhara-KTM? Or is there a chance that flights will be full or get cancelled all day and should we fly to KTM on 28 October?

I'm sorry if some things are asking for the obvious, but going with my dad I feel responsible to prepare things better than I would do on my own and then it's better to ask the experts and be 100% sure about everything! :)

Kind regards,

Laurens

13 replies to this topic
4 posts
11. Re: Poon Hill Trek late October

Sorry for my late reply, I've been over the top busy the last few days. But thank you all for all the information on my questions. This really helps out a lot!

I managed to borrow a solid sleeping bag for my dad, so that is set now. We also bought all other stuff today, including throw away rain jackets, and booked a hotel this week, in which the staff seems very helpful as they already emailed me about different things that they might be able to help out with. So I'm gonna email them about the trek to see if they can get us a carrier and also about the flight tickets KTM-Pokhara.

After your replies we've decided to take days in between flights and travel times, so that we have breathing space if anything wouldn't work out as supposed to. And we feel more comfortable with the Greenline bus now, so we'll go for that option from Pokhara back to KTM, to get ourselves a nice experience and view next to the earlier flight.

Thanks again, much appreciated and I can't wait to arrive in Nepal! :)

Laurens

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
106 reviews
12. Re: Poon Hill Trek late October

You can send an email to Greenline and book seats (always good in busy October), then pay tickets in person (they usually request you pay at least the day before bus trip).

FYI, last year we tried an alternative bus from Pokhara at our hotel's urging. We found "Jagadamba" to be fine but not as good as Greenline (although their start and end points were a little better).

13. Re: Poon Hill Trek late October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2018, 10:30

Reply to: Poon Hill Trek late October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pokhara