We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road conditions from kathmandu to pokhara

2 posts
Road conditions from kathmandu to pokhara

Hii m planing to travel from kathmandu to pokhara by taxii in march frst week.. we are four adults n one kid of 2.5yrs so jzt wanted to know the road conditions.. plz le me know the road conditions

17 replies to this topic
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
11. Re: Road conditions from kathmandu to pokhara

My experience is that the trip to and from Kathmandu-Pokhara is much much longer than 6-7 hours. More like 8 to 10. And "good" and "bad" roads is all relative. Is it possible to take a non-four-wheel-drive to Pokhara? I was thinking it had to be a jeep or similar vehicle. I would never take my vehicle there. It would destroy the car, so if you get charged a few dollars for the trip, it's probably to account for wear and tear.

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
12. Re: Road conditions from kathmandu to pokhara

Hi, Has anyone driven this route recently. Our landlord says the road is in now in good condition and can be done in 4 hours (!) and yet here it sounds like its a long drive through bad conditions according to the comments. We were planning leaving early in the morning but if it anyone has actually driven this recently please advise as obviously dont want to be on the road for 10 hours.

Many thanks.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,267 posts
56 reviews
13. Re: Road conditions from kathmandu to pokhara

Hi

Is February this year recent enough?

I took a tourist bus which stops for comfort breaks and lunch) and it took 9 hours. Since then one of the two major sets of roadworks is almost complete, not sure about the other so the journey time should be reduced a little.

Four hours even by private car is not possible in my view, even setting off early.

scoodly

Edited: 08 November 2018, 18:58
London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
14. Re: Road conditions from kathmandu to pokhara

Many thanks for the quick reply. From what you say, then its pointless going for a long weekend. So change of plans and will work with that time frame in mind.

thank you

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
15. Re: Road conditions from kathmandu to pokhara

Hi, are there lots of places to stop for sightseeing. Thank you.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
15,267 posts
56 reviews
16. Re: Road conditions from kathmandu to pokhara

Hi Sandra

There are some places of interest between KTM and Pokhara but most are a detour from the main road. These include: Gorkha (the ancient capital with good views and some old buildings and temples), Bandipur (a pleasant hill town)m manakamana (temples which can be reached by cable car) and Begnas & Rupa lakes .

scoodly

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
17. Re: Road conditions from kathmandu to pokhara

I went from KTM to Pokhara by bus 3 days ago. Took 9.5 hrs. 3hrs to travel the first 12klm. And a bad section near Leknath otherwise OK. Spoke to someone yesterday that came by private car. Took them 7hrs with one 20 min stop.

Reply to: Road conditions from kathmandu to pokhara
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pokhara