We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to transit India?

Frome, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
17 helpful votes
Is it possible to transit India?
Save

Hi,

Just wondering if it is possible to transit India by flight at the moment? (Aug 2021)

(Coming from Maldives, going to London, Canadian Passport.)

Many thanks if anyone has any information.

6 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Is it possible to transit India?
Save

That strikes me as unlikely. There are no commercial passenger flights operating into or out of India. The only flights are in the nominated air bubbles, for particular ‘classes’ of traveller.

See here: https://www.civilaviation.gov.in/en/about-air-transport-bubbles

You’ll see there are flights from the Maldives to India, and from India to the UK. I can’t see that you’d be eligible for the UK flight, and I can’t see how you’d be issued any kind of visa [even a transit visa] to enter India from the Maldives.

Muzaffarpur...
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi, Darjeeling, Bihar, Katra, Udaipur, Patna, India, Gangtok, Varanasi, Amritsar
Level Contributor
26,449 posts
553 reviews
439 helpful votes
2. Re: Is it possible to transit India?
Save

No you can't,not possible.

Frome, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: Is it possible to transit India?
Save

Virgin Atlantic is recommencing daily flights Del-Lon and Bom-Lon from 1st Sept.

Entering UK from India is no issue as India is now on Amber.

The issue is the Transit Visa for India. Possible or not?

NB I am only considing travelling via India if Maldives comes off of the UK 'red list' at the next announcement today or tomorrow.

I am considering going via India in that case as I still have an outstanding ticket with Virgin Atlantic from India to London, from April 2020, that I would like to use.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Is it possible to transit India?
Save

>> Virgin Atlantic is recommencing daily flights Del-Lon and Bom-Lon from 1st Sept. <<

You asked about August.

Believe it when you see it. More importantly, is this a 'commercial passenger flight' or would this flight simply be part of the air bubble agreement? When announcing the 'ban', the Government of India has simply extended the original ban on an end-of-month basis; so you'll know late in August if the ban is further extended.

>> The issue is the Transit Visa for India. Possible or not? <<

Moot. Until at least 31 August, there are no commercial passenger flights, and therefore no transit visas. Existing visas stand suspended, along with commercial passenger flights, as above. Let me re-iterate - Virgin can say what they want - the India Government are the decision makers here - and they have not announced their decision about September yet.

Of course you don't need a transit visa simply to transit. You need a transit visa to get past Immigration and Customs. You can spend 24 hours in the transit zone if needs be. Although you might need to convince check-in staff of your plan.

Frome, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: Is it possible to transit India?
Save

I am asking about August because I am hoping to get up to date information from someone who has transitted India recently, if such a person exists, which it seems they may not. My travel date is actually 1st Sept, which coincidentally is when Virgin apparently start to fly again, although I do take your point that this may not actually be the case, but it is advertised on their website and they are selling tickets.

Unfortunately I think I would need a transit visa as I would need to fly in on Indigo or Air India, and out on Virgin Atlantic, so I would have to collect and check in my bags for the next flight which would require passing through customs and immigration...

All in all it would seem that this is not a good idea... Thanks for your help.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Is it possible to transit India?
Save

As hinted, here is the one month extension to the current visa and travel restrictions:

https://twitter.com/DGCAIndia/status/1431862315729645569

Reply to: Is it possible to transit India?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.