We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US citizen bringing gifts for missionaries in Maputo

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
US citizen bringing gifts for missionaries in Maputo
Save

Hi! I would love to include Maputo on my trip of delivering gifts from parents to their sons serving missions in the Maputo area for our church. I will be in SA and want to include this additional area. I will be an personal courier, checking bags/luggage filled with gifts onto the plane and personally delivering them to the mission office/main office in each city on my itinerary.

My question is, can I bring several bags of luggage through customs at the airport in Maputo upon landing? What are the fees, if any? Does it depend on the items? Can I get a visa on arrival or do I need to go through the embassy in the US?

I sure appreciate any insight! It's not been very clear searching Google!

1 reply
Matola, Mozambique
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: US citizen bringing gifts for missionaries in Maputo
Save

You can apply for evisa before coming.

Regarding gifts, our taxes are very high, expect to pay about 37% on most items. Best to try to make the things like your own used things if you want to avoid the taxes.

Reply to: US citizen bringing gifts for missionaries in Maputo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.