We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 days in Tanzania , how do I plan my itinerary ?

Bengaluru, India
6 posts
15 days in Tanzania , how do I plan my itinerary ?
Save

Hi all ,

We are a group of 6-8 adults plus two kids planning to visit Tanzania around July 15-20th and spend about 2 weeks there .

Places to visit on our mind are :

Serengeti

Ngorongoro crater

Any other parks / lakes that’s a must see

Zanzibar .

We have heard reports of Wildebeest migration also starting around end of July so trying to understand how best to plan our trip . Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome 🤗

17 replies to this topic
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: 15 days in Tanzania , how do I plan my itinerary ?
Save

Welcome to Tanzania. For your safari to plan here's a sample itinerary:

Day 1: Arrival Arusha.

Day 2: Tarangire park

Day 3: Tarangire park

Day 4: Afternoon transfer to Ngorongoro rim for overnight.

Day 5: Morning crater tour and Serengeti for overnight.

Day 6: Serengeti central

Day 7: Serengeti central

Day 8: Transfer to north Serengeti, see migration

Day 9: See migration

Day 10: See migration

Day 11: Flight to Zanzibar from northern Serengeti.

Day 12-15: Zanzibar.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
14 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: 15 days in Tanzania , how do I plan my itinerary ?
Save

Good outline by Livingstone.

The migration is in Northern Serengeti in July so you see from the itinerary suggested by Livingstone you would move from Ngorongoro to Central Serengeti then on to the north.

My main note would be that your group size is large requiring 3 or 4 rooms/tents and July is peak season and already pretty fully booked so the challenge will be to find space for your group. There are some larger hotel/lodges that may have space but the smaller tented camps will be tricky.

ou will need an agent or TO to spend time searching availability to find something that will work for your group.

Best of luck

Ellie

Pugwash, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
19,002 posts
186 reviews
94 helpful votes
3. Re: 15 days in Tanzania , how do I plan my itinerary ?
Save

I like the plan outlined above. It would be nice to have another day in Tarangire but you need the days in the other places.

Here are two very useful threads on how to go about planning.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293747-i9226-k5845268-Before_you_decide_on_TO_or_safari_a_couple_of_tips-Tanzania.html

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g293747-i9226-k13155443-Looking_for_a_Tour_Operator_Mark_11_and_things_I_ve_noticed-Tanzania.html

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
12,194 posts
4. Re: 15 days in Tanzania , how do I plan my itinerary ?
Save

I think the plan as outlined so far is a good basis to start with 14 nights and 15 days you can certainly see a lot. I would probably cut down one day in Zanzibar from the above itinerary and add it to Tarangire as Tarangire will offer great wildlife viewing and also you can do a night game drive there and a bush walk easily. July is great for the migration up North and not to be missed.

so I would go after Arusha 1 night

3 nights Tarangire

1 night Ngorongoro and visit Manyara on the way maybe with a picnic lunch and do the tree walk there. Nice to get out of the 4 x 4.

then 3 nights central Seronera and the drive up North for 3 nights before flying to Zanzibar for the balance of the safari.

If you want more time in Zanzibar then do 2 nights central Seronera.

the links above will give you a good idea where to start with planning.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
113 reviews
89 helpful votes
5. Re: 15 days in Tanzania , how do I plan my itinerary ?
Save

Are you considering making the trip on your own without the benefit of a hired local guide/driver? If you are I suggest you search this board for previous threads related going it alone vs using a quality guide service.

If you plan to use a safari company I commend you for doing that vs doing it alone. You’ll see far more animals and not have to worry about details like locating fuel, having the appropriate vehicle to handle the very rigid terrain, park entry/exit restrictions/fees or having auto breakdowns and finding yourself stranded.

If you need recommendations for quality guide service providers just ask the board and you’ll find the regulars helpful. You can also search TripAdvisor and other boards for reviews written by those who’ve been there.

Good luck

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6. Re: 15 days in Tanzania , how do I plan my itinerary ?
Save

15 days itinerary

Following Parks will great for you where you can combine wildlife photography safari and nature walking experience as well cultural experience

Arusha national Park wildlife photography safari and nature walking experience

Tarangire national Park with Bush walk or night game drive

Lake manyara Park explore from Southern part to Northern part

Ngorongoro crater tour

Central serengeti national Park as known as seronera Valley

Northern serengeti for great migration cross mara River

Mid July as begin of the season of great migration cross mara River

Fly out from kongatende airstrip to other destination points or kilimanjaro Airport for fly back home

Bengaluru, India
6 posts
7. Re: 15 days in Tanzania , how do I plan my itinerary ?
Save

Thank you for your detailed responses everyone . It’s helping my itinerary take shape .

I am travelling from South India and I see all of this start at Arusha . Does this mean we land in Kilimanjaro Airport to start with versus Dar Es Salaam ?

I do have family in DES so I’m assuming after our safari tours we can go to DES and head to Zanzibar from there . I could fly back home eventually from DES .

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
33 reviews
23 helpful votes
8. Re: 15 days in Tanzania , how do I plan my itinerary ?
Save

Harsha P, that’s correct. Kilimanjaro is the most convenient airport for starting your safari, and it’s easy to get to Dar es Salaam following the safari. It’s in turn easy to get to Zanzibar from Dar.

For your return flight, you can fly from Dar, but check if there should be a suitable international flight direct from Zanzibar.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
9. Re: 15 days in Tanzania , how do I plan my itinerary ?
Save

Kilimanjaro International Airport is gateway for Northern Tanzania safari with options overnight in Moshi or Arusha

It make sense DES on last day fly from Northern serengeti to Dar es salaam then time with family members before head to zanzibar with domestic flight Express boat(Ferry)

Edited: 23 January 2023, 15:16
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
10 reviews
8 helpful votes
10. Re: 15 days in Tanzania , how do I plan my itinerary ?
Save

@harsha P, book your flight to Kilimanjaro airport (JRO) and fly out from Zanzibar airport (ZNZ).

The above recommended itinerary from Livingstone sound good.

Also how old are the kids. After your long flight you can spend a day in Arusha relaxing + doing small activities like visiting maasai market, town tour, go for tengeru village, lake duluti etc. OR you can also think of including in to your itinerary a visit to Arusha national park which is one of the best small national park to start with for your safaris.

Karibu Tanzania.

Edited: 23 January 2023, 17:34
Reply to: 15 days in Tanzania , how do I plan my itinerary ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.