We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Tour - Skip Lake Eyasi and do Wildebeest?

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
25 posts
Advice on Tour - Skip Lake Eyasi and do Wildebeest?
Save

Hi everyone, we are finalizing our Safari itinerary for our first time ever in Africa and doing a Safari. We are a family of four, 2 adults, and my 2 kids, which at the time of our trip will be 9 and 8 or 10 and 9 depending on dates we decide on. Here is our plan and we are trying to figure out whether to add the cultural leg of the trip to Lake Eyasi with the Tribesmen or extend ourselves instead to the North of Serengeti to see possibly the migration (which I heard is never guaranteed). Thoughts? Here is the proposed itinerary 7 days and 6 nights

1. Tarangie 1 night

2. Lake Manyara 1 night

3. Serengeti central 1 night

4. Serengeti Central - 1 night

5. Ngorongoro 1 night

6. Lake Eyasi (end here) last night

If we do the Wildebeest I suspect due to time and money we would have to skip Lake Eyasi and spend 1 extra night but in another part of the Serengeti. Which I am told to see the migration is far, and may or may not require a plane, which I do not want to do. I prefer all by land. Is this unrealistic, too much driving for 1 day to see the migration in the other part of the Serengeti. Am I truly missing out if I skip the tribesmen in Lake Eyasi?

Welcome suggestions.

13 replies to this topic
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
10 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Advice on Tour - Skip Lake Eyasi and do Wildebeest?
Save

When do you expect to travel?

Your itinerary sounds good but you can improve it by driving one way and fly out from Serengeti.

Your travel time will say much where you can extend your stay. If traveling from mid-July to late September you can add more days in north Serengeti at least 2-3 days and also quit lake eyasi and spend another extra day at Tarangire national park. lake Manyara is a good small park but currently big part of the park is occupied by a lake. If interested in treetop walking, then this park is an option too. Arusha national park is a very small and beautiful park to start a safari. You can enjoy walking and game drive in this beautiful park for your first day before you move to big parks. At least 2nights in central Serengeti sound great too. A night on the Ngorongoro crater rim with an overnight at Ngorongoro Sopa or Lion paw camp will give you a great chance to enjoy early game drives down the crater floor as recommended by many.

Anyway, am sure many will give more comments when you tell them your expected travel dates.

Karibu Tanzania,

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
25 posts
2. Re: Advice on Tour - Skip Lake Eyasi and do Wildebeest?
Save

We travel in mid July

Edited: 26 August 2021, 23:39
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
10 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Advice on Tour - Skip Lake Eyasi and do Wildebeest?
Save

Mid-july try this:

Day 1: Arusha/Tarangire park. Overnight Tarangire osupuko or Tarangire Simba lodge.

Day 2: Full day in Tarangire national park.

Day 3: Tarangire half-day game drives then you can include a village visit at Mto was mbu or go for Manyara treetop walking tour. Later in the day drive to Ngorongoro crater rim. Overnight at Sopa lodge or lion paw camp.

Day 4: Ealy morning drive down the Ngorongoro crater floor for a day tour. Overnight at the same lodge at the crater rim.

Day 5: Drive to central Serengeti area. Overnight at Kubu Kubu, acacia, or into wild tented camp. Accommodations depend much on your budget. There are so many varieties in a good location.

Day 6: Morning to afternoon game drives, then drive to north Serengeti mara area. Overnight at Serengeti Ole serai, heritage, acacia, or Chaka tented camp.

Note: On this day if you have enough time and your budget is good you can add another night here in central Serengeti park.

Day 7 & 8: Full day in north Serengeti area for wildebeests migration.

Day 9: Fly from Kogatende airstip to Kilimanjaro airport for your flight out OR extend to Zanzibar beach for few days.

Again, if you have a good budget and time you can add more days in the north Serengeti area. The place if big and it has a lot to see apart from wildebeests migration.

Karibu Tanzania - Welcome to Tanzania.

Edited: 27 August 2021, 01:06
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
634 posts
4. Re: Advice on Tour - Skip Lake Eyasi and do Wildebeest?
Save

I think you mean safari during the great migration in Northern Serengeti that is from mid July towards. It great to combine the great migration as lifetime experience but extra days is very important.

Skip lake manyara national park

Skip lake Eyasi

If your interest is great migration

Arusha to Tarangire 1 night

Tarangire to ngorongoro crater tour overnight crater Rim any lodge 1 night

Ngorongoro crater to central Serengeti 2 nights

Central Serengeti to Northern serengeti 2 nights

Fly back from kongatende airstrip to Arusha Airport or other destinations according your plans

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
25 posts
5. Re: Advice on Tour - Skip Lake Eyasi and do Wildebeest?
Save

Okay my safari tour is already in the works but it sounds like in Mid July the only way to see the great migration is going North (instead of west or south) and I would have to skip Lake Eyasi and possible even one extra night to make it 4 days un Serengeti versus 2. So that correct? I do not want to forego any of the other NP.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
6. Re: Advice on Tour - Skip Lake Eyasi and do Wildebeest?
Save

HI Natalia

Let me go back to your original post

I traveled with 5 kids on my last safari Dec 2019 and they were the ages (about ) where your kids will be when they travel,

I did pick up a few tips on that trip.....the kids liked it slow and easy, what interested the adults didn't interest them in many cases, they liked down time to write in their journals and in fact decided to not go on a few of the late PM game drives. Our safari was a bit longer but the Manyara Serengeti part similar to yours.

The children and adults really enjoyed the tree walk at Manyara and the walk along the rim of the Ngorongoro crater, as well as an ice cream at Mto wa Mbu. I would add a pool to one of your nights stays.

Your comment:

Here is our plan and we are trying to figure out whether to add the cultural leg of the trip to Lake Eyasi with the Tribesmen or extend ourselves instead to the North of Serengeti to see possibly the migration.

If you have only 6 nights I would not do either of these two things....unless you can add extra days or 1 night I would not do Lake Eyasi for a start...too much time on the road and I prefer not to pay someone to kill a monkey so I can watch....The Lake Eyasi part of your trip will be rushed and you really won't get into the real cultural stuff maybe shoot a bow and arrow but the drive there over a dusty bumpy road for the reward in my view not worth it.

Now the migration up North if you don't won't to fly there or back and don't have three extra days don't do it....You might go in Mid July and not see a river crossing changing weather patterns are making animal movements unpredictable ...more and more so. ( you might of course see three or four pot luck)

If you only have 6 nights 7 days I would stick to your original itinerary with a few changes...On one of your Serengeti days drive West and you will have a good chance of seeing the migration ( but not river crossings) Also if staying around Seronera choose a camp on the Western Side of central Seronera not East...

Now your last question....

Mid July the only way to see the great migration is going North (instead of west or south)

....Not necessarily the tail end or even the middle might be in the Western Corridor remember there are about 1.5 million animals spread out over a very large area. but for river crossings the Mara River North or Grumeti River. West.

and I would have to skip Lake Eyasi

Yes no matter what skip Lake Eyasi.

and possible even one extra night to make it 4 days un Serengeti versus 2. So that correct?

If you want to go up North you would need 2 extra nights and a flight back to Arusha ...which you don't want to do Unless the migration is a high priority I would go for overall wildlife viewing instead... stay around the Seronera River area and the hippo pool rather than trying to fit too much in.

I do not want to forego any of the other NP.

Okay thats fine don't but I would change the itinerary around a bit and leave out Lake Eyasi and add 1 night to Tarangire so you don't have too many one night stands.something like this:

1. Tarangire 2 nights

3. Lake Manyara 1 night

4. Serengeti central 2 night

5. Serengeti Central -

6. Ngorongoro 1 night

The above would be a really nice itinerary flows well and would give your kids a good opportunity to see plenty of wildlife and a lot of variety....no flight and you could fit in a tree walk at Manyara as well a night game drive in Tarangire and a bush walk at Ngorongoro.

Edited: 27 August 2021, 05:39
Arusha, Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
7. Re: Advice on Tour - Skip Lake Eyasi and do Wildebeest?
Save

Hi

Stay inside Tarangire NP leaving to overnight outside is not great, when inside you can do you early morning game drive without the paperwork of re-entering, bush walk with Brendon when staying at Tarangire safari lodge is also a great walk

Edited: 27 August 2021, 11:27
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
25 posts
8. Re: Advice on Tour - Skip Lake Eyasi and do Wildebeest?
Save

What a great response noexpert! Thank you. Here is the revised itinerary

Itinerary:

Day 1 - Pickup from Kilimanjaro airport. Transfer to Arusha (1h drive) for rest and overnight at hotel TBD.

Day 2 - Pickup from hotel at 8am and transfer to Tarangire (2h) for game drive with lunch in the park’s Picnic area. Dinner and overnight in Tarangire Simba Lodge.

Day 3- After early breakfast, small transfer to Lake Manyara for full day game drive. Lunch in the park’s Picnic area. Dinner and overnight in Escarpment Luxury Lodge.

Day 4 - Morning drive to Serengeti (5h) with spectacular views on the way. Picnic lunch and afternoon game drive in the Central Serengeti. Dinner and overnight in Acacia Central Camp (Central).

Day 5 - Full day game drive in Central Serengeti with Picnic lunch in the plains (or at the camp/lodge). Dinner and overnight in Acacia Luxury (Central)

Day 6***Add an extra day and night in Serengeti - Similar to Day 5

Day 7 - Morning game drive in the Serengeti before traveling to Ngorongoro region (3h) for dinner and overnight in Karibu Lions Paw.

Day 8 - Early morning descend into the crater floor for an incredible game drive with Picnic lunch. Afternoon transfer (original plan was to drive to Lake Eyasi and spend 1 night and then Day 9 get up at sunrise for activities with tribe and then afternoon to airport) Instead changing to afternoon drive back to Arusha for Flight back

Thoughts!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
9. Re: Advice on Tour - Skip Lake Eyasi and do Wildebeest?
Save

What a great response noexpert! Thank you....your welcome

Day 1 - Pickup from Kilimanjaro airport. Transfer to Arusha (1h drive) for rest and overnight at hotel TBD.

yep fine

Day 2 - Pickup from hotel at 8am and transfer to Tarangire (2h) for game drive with lunch in the park’s Picnic area. Dinner and overnight in Tarangire Simba Lodge. might take 3 hours + to get there depending on traffic etc and location of Arusha hotel. You also might stop for drinks and snacks... but normal

Day 3- After early breakfast, small transfer to Lake Manyara for full day game drive. Lunch in the park’s Picnic area. Dinner and overnight in Escarpment Luxury Lodge. will take an hour to get to the Park why not stop at Mto wa Mbu right near the park entrance gate. grab a banana, ice cream, cold drink, tinga tinga painting of a giraffe some cheap ( or expensive if you want trinkets bracelets) I would do the tree walk.

Day 4 - Morning drive to Serengeti (5h) with spectacular views on the way. Picnic lunch and afternoon game drive in the Central Serengeti. Dinner and overnight in Acacia Central Camp (Central). Nice

Day 5 - Full day game drive in Central Serengeti with Picnic lunch in the plains (or at the camp/lodge). Dinner and overnight in Acacia Luxury (Central) Nice go to the Tourist centre in central Seronera look at the hyraxes and buy a coffee or cold beer.

Day 6***Add an extra day and night in Serengeti - Similar to Day 5 yeah but I would add it in Tarangire if I was you.

Day 7 - Morning game drive in the Serengeti before traveling to Ngorongoro region (3h) for dinner and overnight in Karibu Lions Paw. Nah stay on the crater rim all that way and miss out on the view...I like Serena or the cheaper wildlife lodge....go for a walk with the Zebra ( if they are around if not just walk and look at the view, you will be with an armed ranger from the entrance gate) this is a nice fun activity. If not go to the lodge and swim in the cold water July can be cold.

Day 8 - Early morning descend into the crater floor for an incredible game drive with Picnic lunch. ( I hope its incredible look for Rhino when the sun comes up ) be early before the Karatu crowd.Afternoon transfer (original plan was to drive to Lake Eyasi and spend 1 night and then Day 9 get up at sunrise for activities with tribe and then afternoon to airport) Instead changing to afternoon drive back to Arusha for Flight back. Yeah don't bother with Lake Eyasi .....

If you have a spare day looks like 9 day add it to the Serengeti

So if adding any days 2 days first preference Tarangire and then Serengeti.

Really nice itinerary which ever way you do it....straight forward....

thoughts....Stay on the Rim in a lodge with a view...the nights can aslo be cold especially in a tented camp...the Wildlife lodge has connecting rooms.

Try and fit in 2 nights at Tarangire the park is really great for walks and make sure you do a night game drive...check to see if Simba Camp do them I don't think they do. This is a really fun activity with young children. I have done dozens (maybe more) probably over a 100 or so, and probably out of everything over the years the one thing I like the most...second would be buying red bananas at Lake Manyara.

Third watch my young children hide under the seat when a large male lion walked up to the Land Rover.

Edited: 28 August 2021, 10:34
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
25 posts
10. Re: Advice on Tour - Skip Lake Eyasi and do Wildebeest?
Save

Thank you brightsafari just emailed you at the sales office. thanks!

Reply to: Advice on Tour - Skip Lake Eyasi and do Wildebeest?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.