We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area is best to stay if visiting Haleakalā

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
Which area is best to stay if visiting Haleakalā
Save

Hi guys!

We will be arriving in Maui around 11am, and we are wanting to go to Haleakalā National Park for sunrise the next day.

As we will have a full day before that, just wondering what area you recommend we could stay at that will let us do activities during the day and doesn't involve a long drive to Haleakalā National Park the next morning.

Thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
25 reviews
100 helpful votes
1. Re: Which area is best to stay if visiting Haleakalā
Save

You could stay 'upcountry' but it does not seem worth it. If you did that on the day you arrive you are far from beaches, if relaxing n the beach on the day you arrive is what you are planning.

You would still have a 90 minute drive staying in the nearest place to the road up Haleakala and then you would need to spend another night in the same location as you would be rushed to get back for checkout time. That is ok, you could explore the upcountry area, before moving elsewhere the third nigh, it all depends how long you are staying on Maui.

I recommend that you wait another day before driving up Haleakala. It is a long drive in the dark and not a good idea if you are tired coming all the way from OZ. Go right to your long term destination when you land,

take it easy that day and the next. The drive time saved by staying nearer is not worth the hassle, note that distances on Maui are not large compared to what you are used to on OZ.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
16 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Which area is best to stay if visiting Haleakalā
Save

How long are you staying? Is this all you will be doing? What is your idea of a long drive? Maui isn't all that big so unless your staying in Hana anywhere else will doable.

Level Contributor
503 posts
1 review
3. Re: Which area is best to stay if visiting Haleakalā
Save

I would pick where you want to stay for the trip and take at least a days rest.

Going to 10,000 ft when you are tired will just make you more so, the thin air will fo that

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Which area is best to stay if visiting Haleakalā
Save

Nearly all visitors base in either West or South Maui. Depending on where you are in South Maui, you could have a 15-30 minute shorter drive to the summit than from parts of West Maui. I wouldn't make my decision of where to stay based on that, if you have a place picked out for the whole trip, stay there, avoid extra packing and unpacking and relax.

California
Level Contributor
59,707 posts
18 reviews
27 helpful votes
5. Re: Which area is best to stay if visiting Haleakalā
Save

Please help us with your schedule a little. You're arriving in Honolulu ... but not going to Maui until the next day ... and then the "next" day you want to go to Haleakala?

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Which area is best to stay if visiting Haleakalā
Save

"I would pick where you want to stay for the trip"

Ditto. It sounds like you're thinking of spending a night or two in one place and then relocating, and I think that's a hassle and will waste as much time as you'd save by having a shorter drive for one particular activity.

My philosophy is to figure out the things I want to do and the places I want to be and then pick a place that is central to them. For me that means the Kihei area, since it's a bit closer for trips to all places east of Kahalui, close enough that west Maui is an easy drive, and close to where I'll likely spend the bulk of my time. Others prefer to stay in west Maui. That means a somewhat longer drive to Haleakala, Hana and other popular day trips, but works well if you spend most of your time nearby.

If you decide that staying close to Haleakala makes sense you can be a good bit closer than 90 minutes. The Kula Lodge is about as close to the summit road as you can get, and would make it about a 45 to 60 minute drive to the summit. There are certainly other choices not too far away. As above, that would likely work best if you stay a 2nd night and spend some time visiting other things in that general area. Depending on the things that interest you, that's close to ziplining (easily found elsewhere, too), the winery and lavender farm, among other things.

Maui
Level Contributor
106,556 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
7. Re: Which area is best to stay if visiting Haleakalā
Save

I agree....please fill in more details :-). Did you decide on Oahu and Maui, or are you doing Kaua'i too? Are you pushing on to Maui the morning you land on Oahu? Then staying for how long?

8. Re: Which area is best to stay if visiting Haleakalā

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2018, 13:17
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.