We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan, Honduras or San Pedro Belize

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
112 reviews
41 helpful votes
Roatan, Honduras or San Pedro Belize
Save

I realize this is a very subjective question, but does anyone who has visited both have comments or a comparison for a Feb or March visit? Thank you

6 replies to this topic
Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
86 reviews
193 helpful votes
1. Re: Roatan, Honduras or San Pedro Belize
Save

I can objectively say that Roatan has way better diving and snorkeling plus a lot more beach, not to mention being way more scenic. The road through San Pedro is full of golf carts that make it a bit unsafe. SP has decent lodging and restaurants, but not the range that Roatan has. Roatan has a number of over-the-top resorts that Belize lacks.It's always seemed to me that, as far as diving goes, Ambergris stays in business because its clients haven't found Roatan yet. North of the bridge the beach is mucky and uninviting. I found two nearby towns to be more enjoyable; Caye Caulker to the south and Xcalak to the north in Mexico.

One thing that I love about San Pedro, though, is that you can fly in almost to your hotel, on Tropic Air from the mainland airport. My hotel was right across the runway,

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
112 reviews
41 helpful votes
2. Re: Roatan, Honduras or San Pedro Belize
Save

Thank you davidhauk, How would you compare the two for wandering around exploring small shops and restaurants?

I wander the world
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
25 reviews
39 helpful votes
3. Re: Roatan, Honduras or San Pedro Belize
Save

Have a click through UTube, there are numerous videos of the delightful West End Village and some cool drone footage of West Bay Beach, the premiere beach on the island.

There is also Coxen Hole, the main town which offers a more local feel over the ex-pat population mixed with locals in West End.

I have not been to Belize because when I was researching snorkeling from shore in 2000, Roatan came up.

Level Contributor
149 posts
4. Re: Roatan, Honduras or San Pedro Belize
Save

we did not care for San Pedro truthfully....after 5 days there we went to Caye Caulker which suited us much better. We have also spent a week at Coco Plum Caye, an offshore private resort island in Belize that we loved. Our next trip to Belize will be to Placencia where we plan to stay in the village. All of these locations are very different from each other.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
381 posts
96 reviews
35 helpful votes
5. Re: Roatan, Honduras or San Pedro Belize
Save

We’ve been to both and would tell you hands down Roatan wins every time. No comparison on the snorkeling and beaches.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
475 reviews
306 helpful votes
6. Re: Roatan, Honduras or San Pedro Belize
Save

We had a place in San Pedro in the 1990's and we loved it but after the hurricane in 97 the construction took off like crazy, the cruise ships started coming and it lost it's unique appeal. San Pedro has gone from being a cute little fishing/diving village to a development thats about 5 miles long from north to south. Americans now almost out number Belizeans and with all the grey hair and golf carts it reminds me of a shabby version of "the villages" in Florida. We left San Pedro in 2000, went back to visit in 2005 and felt relieved that we had moved. Roatan is far more unique, unless you prefer somewhere that has been totally Americanized.

Edited: 23 January 2023, 23:01
Reply to: Roatan, Honduras or San Pedro Belize
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Roatan
Recent Conversations
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.