We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hirshhorn Museum - One with Eternity Yayoi Kusama

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
Hirshhorn Museum - One with Eternity Yayoi Kusama
Save

I understand that passes for the exhibit are distributed the day of beginning at 9:30am each morning. Just wondering if anyone has done this and can share their experience. Would like to know their wait time, tips/tricks and the likelyhood of getting the ticket or does it run out very quickly. thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
6,342 posts
1. Re: Hirshhorn Museum - One with Eternity Yayoi Kusama
Save

I signed up,as a member so I could get timed tickets during the preview.

They will not let you carry anything inside the mirror rooms. They had an open bookshelf to put items on. You may want to travel light stuffing wallets and such in your clothes before approaching. Or hold one persons items as they go in and then swap. You get 30 seconds in each.

Honestly the photos look better than it is. Very small installations.

The pumpkin room on the other hand is great!

Go upstairs and see the Sam Gilliam exhibition while you are there! https://hirshhorn.si.edu/exhibitions/sam-gilliam-full-circle/

Also depending on your preferences you may want to wear a mask in the small rooms. They are not super ventilated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Hirshhorn Museum - One with Eternity Yayoi Kusama
Save

thank you. very helpful....

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
3. Re: Hirshhorn Museum - One with Eternity Yayoi Kusama
Save

I just went today, so here's how it went. We arrived to the museum around 9:00am and got in line. There were probably 30 people ahead of us, not too many honestly compared to the 2017 exhibition. At 9:30 a museum person started going down the line with the earliest tickets in her hand. We didn't much mind when we went, so we got tickets for 10:15 which was the second time slot (the museum opens at 10, so the earliest tickets are for 10). If you want to go at a specific time you can stay in line and there was a person with a box of later tickets so you can pick from them. I'm not sure how long it took to run through all the tickets.

Then just show up about 10mins before the ticket time to get inside. You can go into the rest of the museum while you wait, or leave and come back. The ticket checker at the beginning will tell you to put any bags into a locker, but you don't need to as long as you're okay leaving your bag unattended for the 30 seconds you're inside each of the two rooms.

Edited: 02 July 2022, 04:33
Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
6,342 posts
4. Re: Hirshhorn Museum - One with Eternity Yayoi Kusama
Save

Glad they have refined their messaging. I was not told about lockers at all, just the unattended shelves.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
169 reviews
79 helpful votes
5. Re: Hirshhorn Museum - One with Eternity Yayoi Kusama
Save

We went to the exhibit last Monday. The first time slot is 10:15 and then every half hour after that (10:45, 11:15, and so on) We got in line at 9:25 and there were only a few people in front of us. At 9:30 we could have took 10:15 tickets but went to the front of the line and asked for afternoon tickets. We got 1:15 tickets. This worked well for us since we had 10:00 tickets for NMAAHC.

We arrived around 1:00 so spent a few minutes in the gift shop. At 1:10 they placed a 1:15 time on the board so we got in line. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

There are 3 rooms and they don't take very long to get through. In fact you only get 30 seconds in one mirror room and 1 minute in the other. We didn't mind leaving our bags outside the room. There aren't people milling around. Just a staff member and people lined up (not near the shelf). We enjoyed the exhibit and took loads of pics.

Afterwards we went upstairs to see the other exhibits. We left around 2:30.

Reply to: Hirshhorn Museum - One with Eternity Yayoi Kusama
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Washington DC
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.