We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Personal Bags….

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
110 reviews
78 helpful votes
Personal Bags….
Save

Hi,

Your allowed to take small backpacks, purses etc… into most places in DC right ? The monument, capitol , museums etc…

I think the only place your not allowed a bag is the White House ?

6 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
77,198 posts
49 reviews
112 helpful votes
1. Re: Personal Bags….
Save

Rules can vary, and things can change. There might even be a bag allowed at one place for a certain size but not allowed at another site.

I’d recommend checking the official sites for the places you’re planning on visiting.

Here’s the Washington Monument site to get you started:

https://www.nps.gov/wamo/planyourvisit/restricted-items.htm

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
6,342 posts
2. Re: Personal Bags….
Save

Plus they rummage through your bag at some museums that don't use metal detectors. So less stuff is better.

Israel
Level Contributor
6,022 posts
1,141 reviews
4,009 helpful votes
3. Re: Personal Bags….
Save

Re #2- Last week, I passed through each and every museum lining the National Mall between the Capitol and the Washington Monument, and yes- security staff were rummaging through bags at each and every one of them, except the National Botanical Gardens.

Edited: 28 June 2022, 10:34
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
4. Re: Personal Bags….
Save

Bringing a backpack is not a problem. Small wait at some places but usually under 2 mins to get it checked. In my experience it's usually less of a rummage and more of a 5 second look.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
2,870 reviews
57,668 helpful votes
5. Re: Personal Bags….
Save

Backpacks have become a hindrance. Some places allow and others make an issue out of them. I have less trouble with dogs than with a backpack these days.

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
6,342 posts
6. Re: Personal Bags….
Save

Backpacks can whack art and people when on the back so they are an issue. A hand carried bag or side bag like a purse or sling bag, less so.

I guess people are "over covid" but personally I dislike people or a multiused stick touching the inside of my purse.

Reply to: Personal Bags….
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Washington DC
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.