We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inauguration 2021

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
20 posts
Inauguration 2021
Save

Hi everyone! I want to go to the inauguration in January, but most of the hotels are booked and those that aren’t booked are charging $1000+ per night. I’m a college student and can’t afford the $1000+ per night. What are some close areas that I can stay in and travel into DC? What would be the best form of transportation to get to DC from these areas? Thank you!

23 replies to this topic
Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Inauguration 2021
Save

You need to give the exact dates you will need a hotel room. Some people need it before, some people need it the day of, some need both.

And what is you maximum budget? Hotels are always expensive around Inauguration dates historically, and this year we have even more limited capacity.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
20 posts
2. Re: Inauguration 2021
Save

My exact dates are January 19 - 21.my max budget is $1000 total for the rooms.

Edited: 12 November 2020, 20:53
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
72,329 posts
49 reviews
111 helpful votes
3. Re: Inauguration 2021
Save

As I commented the other day on a similar post:

I will be very ( very!) surprised if there are any public inauguration events in January.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
20 posts
4. Re: Inauguration 2021
Save

Yeah that’s another reason why I’m stuck in a hard place. I don’t want to book the hotels, flights and possibly a rental car and he doesn’t have one. At the same time, if he does have a formal inauguration, I want to have those things set in stone.

US
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
42 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: Inauguration 2021
Save

You don’t need or want a rental car so scratch that from your budget and move it over into your lodging. Cast a wide net distance wise. If you’re along the Metro in any direction it’s a viable choice. Start close like the hotels at Arlington Courthouse or Rosslyn. Alexandria works. The Metro goes way out into the suburbs and prices get lower so if you just need a place to sleep, that’s how I’d search. Make sure the hotel is refundable. If you can, book directly. I prefer that to 3rd party.

Springfield...
Destination Expert
for Fairfax, Washington DC, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
324 reviews
214 helpful votes
6. Re: Inauguration 2021
Save

Right now the Residence Inn Tysons is showing a refundable rate of $241 for your nights. It would be a 15 minute walk to the Greensboro Metro station, which is on the Silver Line. You might want to look at that on Marriott's website. It does say that it's almost sold out.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
20 posts
7. Re: Inauguration 2021
Save

Thank you!!

washington dc
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Inauguration 2021
Save

Of course we don't know yet how the inauguration will be handled with the pandemic, but you definitely want to stay right in the city. DC is a small city, so if you can walk 2-3 miles, that is your best option.

There are currently over 300 rooms or apts. on Airbnb available for those dates, and there will be lots more closer to January. Most prices have increased already, but last year many places went un-booked and dropped prices at the last minute. VRBO also has lots of options, but again the prices have gone up enormously.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Inauguration 2021
Save

Even in normal years you see a ton of rooms get booked up just in case and then a wave of cancellations hits as groups that were hoping for a win instead postpone their trip.

Add in this year's uncertainty I'd certainly only try to book closer to the day of and get a deal if you can find one. If not then don't worry about it. The only one I considered going to was in 2008 and now I'm pretty happy with my decision to stay home and watch on TV.

washington dc
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
10. Re: Inauguration 2021
Save

We do actually know who won. There is no "uncertainty."

Reply to: Inauguration 2021
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Washington DC
US$USD
Hong Kong SAR
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.