We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non Essential Travel to Washington DC

Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Non Essential Travel to Washington DC
Save

I had booked flights to DC months ago and until September, I wasn't aware of the mandatory quarantine if you're coming from a high risk state. I am only to be there 3 days so mandatory 14 day quarantine is out of the question. I'm not there that long. So how is this quarantine triggered? When you arrive at the airport? Because I'd rather sit this one out and just cancel my flight than be stuck there for 14 days.

Please help!! I had already asked someone local and they said it shouldn't be a problem as long as you comply and wear a mask. I already do that here in Texas all day every day so not a problem. :)

11 replies to this topic
Washington DC
Level Contributor
6,940 posts
65 reviews
64 helpful votes
1. Re: Non Essential Travel to Washington DC
Save

I don't follow you about when it is "triggered"? What difference does that make if you are only going to be there 3 days (or planned to). It's "triggered" when you enter the city limits.

I have no words for that person who told you that you would have "no problems". Absolutely disgraceful.

STAY HOME. What is wrong with you people who think COVID doesn't exist and you want to run around acting like nothing has happened. Why on earth do you want to run that risk yourself with the planes, traveling, etc., just to have a couple day holiday!!!!!??? seriously??

I could see it if you were driving but not flying and I bet not even nonstop. The fact that you put yourself at risk like that for "fun" for a couple days is shocking. It's pretty clear you are oblivous to what is going on in this country if you never even thought there might be quarantines or bothered to check since this is in the news frequently and is the case for many states.

Edited: 06 October 2020, 03:57
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Non Essential Travel to Washington DC
Save

I mentioned "triggered" because someone else posted that on another post so I just followed their wording. And please, no need to be rude!!! I'll gladly cancel the trip if you're so concerned. We've been dealing with this for more than 6 months, so I know how to take my precautions and I'm not gonna let fear overtake me. Also, I'm not going to be in a crowd and my flight is non-stop actually. But your opinion or mine here don't matter. We could go on and on. You fear mongering and me not GAF so....

Maybe I can get an answer from someone else......

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
354 posts
3. Re: Non Essential Travel to Washington DC
Save

The DC quarantine order isn't like others where you do a form when you arrive to "trigger" it, and, it isn't heavily enforced, but you should still follow it. If they do catch you ( say you have a ticket proving that you were in Texas less than 2 weeks ago, and you're fined for some other offense here, and they see that you've violated the orded), there is a hefty fine. I would either replan your trip to avoid DC ( There are plenty of attractions and hotels in Alexandria, VA, and other cities in VA/MD ) or cancel it entirely.

Edited: 06 October 2020, 04:27
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
354 posts
4. Re: Non Essential Travel to Washington DC
Save

You're also required to affirm that you're in cooperation with the order whenever you go to any Hotel, restaurant, museum, or other buisness in DC, another reason why you should stay in Virginia/Maryland if you go there.

US
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
42 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: Non Essential Travel to Washington DC
Save

Odds of actually having any consequences are low but I’d personally not want to go and violate the quarantine. Like others said, regroup and try non DC areas in VA and MD instead. You can stay close in and do Alexandria and Mt. Vernon or the National Harbor. Or Baltimore. Or head to Shenandoah NP for some great fall leaves.

Clairton...
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
21 reviews
32 helpful votes
6. Re: Non Essential Travel to Washington DC
Save

Considering you are coming from Texas, a huge hot spot, with poor measures in dealing with the virus (my daughter lives in Ft Worth and is just horrified - and terrified - with how lax the rules are) please consider abandoning this trip until AT LEAST this time next year. It is just not safe right now for unnecessary travel.... anywhere.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Non Essential Travel to Washington DC
Save

I also agree with others that you should consider cancelling or rescheduling this trip. As you mentioned, there is no point in getting to DC for a 14 days quarantine. I also do not understand what the other local you mentioned in your OP said. What do they mean by if you comply? If you comply, you would do the 14 days quarantine., just wearing a mask won't substitute the quarantine.

Now to the question of "triggering". The requirement will be triggered when you enter DC. As all three airports for DC are not in DC, technically you do have some cushion after you landed in either Virginia or Maryland. You can check separately to see if Virginia or Maryland have similar policy for people from Texas.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
52,304 posts
8,645 reviews
3,824 helpful votes
8. Re: Non Essential Travel to Washington DC
Save

Plan on sitting this one out and cancelling.

washington dc
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Non Essential Travel to Washington DC
Save

One can absolutely accept the need for preventative measures like masks and distancing, while also acknowledging that "quarantines" like this are useless and ridiculous. Telling someone to stay in Arlington while they visit the sites in DC is just stupid. You sound like you know how to be safe - more so than many locals. I'm sure there are no police at the airports checking arrivals - because that would be a colossal and absurd waste of resources. I don't know what hotels are doing. Check directly with your hotel. Or just rent an apartment instead through vrbo, or airbnb.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
27 reviews
11 helpful votes
10. Re: Non Essential Travel to Washington DC
Save

"Telling someone to stay in Arlington while they visit the sites in DC is just stupid."

Where did you see anyone suggested that?

Reply to: Non Essential Travel to Washington DC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Washington DC
US$USD
Hong Kong SAR
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.