We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Type of Food or Dish is a Must to Try?

Morrison, CO
Level Contributor
302 posts
124 reviews
64 helpful votes
What Type of Food or Dish is a Must to Try?
Save

I'm sure Washington D.C. must offer a multitude of International food and/or dishes, plus different types of American food. What should we seek our on our visit? What's D.C. known for?

(No fish with their heads attached, please! That's a request from my husband).

Thank you!

14 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
76,877 posts
49 reviews
112 helpful votes
1. Re: What Type of Food or Dish is a Must to Try?
Save

We don’t really have a local cuisine. Blue crabs are popular in nearby Maryland. Either steamed or crab cakes. So you’ll see crab cakes of varying quality on the menu in DC restaurants.

There are a lot of Ethiopian restaurants.

United States
Level Contributor
5,429 posts
2. Re: What Type of Food or Dish is a Must to Try?
Save

Jose Andres Jaleo, great Spanish food.

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
3. Re: What Type of Food or Dish is a Must to Try?
Save

International food: You name it. You should be able to find food from practically any country in the area, just with a quick Google search. Then pick whatever has the best location/reviews.

A few of my favorites are Bistro Aracosia for Afghan and The Grill from Ipanema for Brazilian

Washington DC
Level Contributor
8,530 posts
68 reviews
65 helpful votes
4. Re: What Type of Food or Dish is a Must to Try?
Save

DC itself isn't known for any particular cuisine. A lot of cities aren't.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
53 reviews
26 helpful votes
5. Re: What Type of Food or Dish is a Must to Try?
Save

When we visited in a June, we had terrific seafood at Pearl aDive Oyster Bar, superb French cuisine at Le Diplomate, tapas at Jaleo and a wonderful small plate experience at Gypsy Kitchen.

Springfield...
Destination Expert
for Fairfax, Washington DC, Alexandria, Williamsburg
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
354 reviews
224 helpful votes
6. Re: What Type of Food or Dish is a Must to Try?
Save

DC is somewhat known for its thriving Ethiopian restaurant community. You might like to try Zenebech, Ethiopic, Gorsha, and others.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: What Type of Food or Dish is a Must to Try?
Save

I'd look at Old Ebbitt Grill near the White House, the oldest tavern in DC and a varied food menu, Ben's Chili Bowl for the most iconic/well known cheap eats (though I've heard rumors it may close?), and Eastern Market including Market Lunch for more budget friendly options, but good ones can be found all over the city.  You could consider lunch instead of dinner to save a few bucks at the expensive places.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
76,877 posts
49 reviews
112 helpful votes
8. Re: What Type of Food or Dish is a Must to Try?
Save

“ I'd look at Old Ebbitt Grill near the White House, the oldest tavern in DC and a varied food menu,”

Good food. The “ oldest tavern” thing is a bit misleading because the current premises only date from 1983. Other than some stuffed animal heads over the bar, there’s nothing remaining from the other locations used by the restaurant over the years.

Potential closing of Ben’s Chili Bowl? I’m not a fan of the place. But a closing would be huge news in DC. Where did you hear that?

DC
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
9. Re: What Type of Food or Dish is a Must to Try?
Save

It's also misleading to think of the Old Ebbitt as a "tavern." By annual dollar sales volume, it's one of the top three restaurants in the US. That said, I like it a lot.

Edited: 12 February 2022, 03:19
Springfield...
Destination Expert
for Fairfax, Washington DC, Alexandria, Williamsburg
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
354 reviews
224 helpful votes
10. Re: What Type of Food or Dish is a Must to Try?
Save

The Ben's in Arlington closed as a result of the pandemic. To the best of my knowledge, the original location is still going strong.

Reply to: What Type of Food or Dish is a Must to Try?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about District of Columbia
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.