We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unused, unopened bear spray return policy in Montana

New Jersey
6 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
Unused, unopened bear spray return policy in Montana
Save

Hello!

Can unused, unopened bear spray in its original package be returned to the store for a refund in Montana?

I bought bear spray from Walmart in Bozeman Montana and never took it out from its original packaging. A week after purchasing, I attempted to do the return for a full refund at the same Walmart but was advised that they cannot do a return due to Montana law. I can't find anything regarding such Montana law. Anyone know? Instead they indicated we could either leave the bear spray at the fishing and sports department in the Walmart where it was originally purchased or leave it at the Bozeman airport before or flight out. I've followed up with Walmart customer care and I'm waiting to hear back.

Nonetheless, I wanted to see if anyone is familiar with any Montana law that prohibits returning unused, unopened bear spray in its original package from being returned for a full refund?

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
959 posts
28 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: Unused, unopened bear spray return policy in Montana
Save

This is news to me, although I’ve never tried to return an unopened bear spray package. I did find a website about WalMart return policy that listed a bunch of items that cannot be returned. While it did not specifically list bear spray, it did mention pepper spray. So it could be a WalMart policy (or federal law) and not Montana law, despite what the clerk said.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
13,958 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Unused, unopened bear spray return policy in Montana
Save

The following is on Walmart's website:

Sales of the following items are final and may not be returned:

Firearms & ammunition

Airsoft & air guns, BB guns

Pepper spray

***More items are on the list, but I just copied and pasted down to Pepper Spray.

https://www.walmart.com/cp/returns/1231920

I realize that bear spray is different from self-defense pepper spray, but it has the same active ingredient in it, so it is probably considered under the same no-return policy as pepper spray

If you are still in the area, you could donate the bear spray to rangers, (you can leave it at visitor centers) or workers in the park and gateway towns, or you can try selling the unopened package to someone arriving at the airport that needs bear spray.

Deb

Edited: 29 August 2021, 03:02
New Jersey
6 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Unused, unopened bear spray return policy in Montana
Save

Thank you. Yeah, my guess is that they just referenced the wrong reason. It was my first time there and wasn't sure if I'd need it, so I preferred to be safe than sorry. I later learned you can also rent bear spray, if necessary, for about 30 bucks a week or like 10 bucks a day within the actual park too so good to know for next time.

New Jersey
6 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Unused, unopened bear spray return policy in Montana
Save

Thank you Deb. That's a good idea, donating to rangers, I should have done that. I ended up leaving it at Wal-Mart yesterday because they said we could leave it there or at the Bozeman airport. Seems like it simply falls under the pepper spray category of non refundable items. Thank you both!

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
852 reviews
300 helpful votes
5. Re: Unused, unopened bear spray return policy in Montana
Save

I realize it appeared to be unopened but they may not be able to verify it unless they weigh it in comparison to their stock containers. I personally would not be in favour of purchasing returned bear spray or under garments.

United States
Level Contributor
959 posts
28 reviews
19 helpful votes
6. Re: Unused, unopened bear spray return policy in Montana
Save

Dean, I don't know about Walmart, but the 2 packs sold at Costco are encased in that impossible to get into hard clear plastic that requires a box cutter or scissors, so it is easy to tell if it has been unopened.

New Jersey
6 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Unused, unopened bear spray return policy in Montana
Save

I think the one I purchased from Walmart was in clear plastic. Never tried to remove it from the plastic case. I also noticed the actual bottle had what appeared to be a zip tie on it that would need to be removed in order to have the bear spray ready for use if necessary.

Reply to: Unused, unopened bear spray return policy in Montana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.