We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What items do TSA confiscate?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What items do TSA confiscate?

I have been reading a lot of travel reports about tourists going to Hawaii and several mention TSA confiscating items from their luggage - hand and bags/

Can anyone tell me what they wont allow into the country? It seems to change daily since the last Presidential election.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,308 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What items do TSA confiscate?

Are you talking about Customs?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What items do TSA confiscate?

The list of items banned by TSA has not changed recently so you must be thinking of customs or something else. Trump's travel ban did not affect what you can bring through a TSA checkpoint. The USA has also banned some electronic items in carry one for,flights from a few select Middle East airports to the USA. But that's nothing to do with TSA.

https:/…whatcanibring

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What items do TSA confiscate?

Thanks this link is what I was looking for. On the news there was something about not allowing laptops in cabin luggage.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What items do TSA confiscate?

What do you want to bring?

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What items do TSA confiscate?

If I remember correctly, you can't take a spare laptop battery in your cabin baggage.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What items do TSA confiscate?

Bringing laptops in the cabin is for a handful of middle east countries where terrorists have found a way to put a bomb in a laptop. It does not apply if you are coming from Australia.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What items do TSA confiscate?

@Harleynut, nearly every airline has restrictions in lithium batteries, the kinds used in laptops, because they are a known explosion risk. Typically if they are in the device they are ok. Spares typically need the connection covered so it can't short and overheat. It also depends on the size of the battery. They are more restrictions in checked bags than carry ones because if its in a carry on and overheats, there are people around to deal with it. Check your airlines website for more details as it can vary slightly from airline to airline. Some are more restrictive than others.

Glacier National...
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What items do TSA confiscate?

Travel reports here on TA?

I haven't seen anything alarming mentioned or anything different.

Plus, you say you're coming into the country, so US TSA will not even be a factor for your arrival.

There are rules about fruit and other foods, but that's not TSA and is not new.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,219 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What items do TSA confiscate?

Now, and for flights, where TSA is involved, my wife has eyelash curlers confiscated from her carry-ons, which was an odd thing, but as mentioned, that TSA will not be involved with International arrivals, from countries, such as Australia.

Fly safely,

Hunt

10. Re: What items do TSA confiscate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2018, 13:17