We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July or August

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
934 posts
July or August

Planning a trip to Alaska in 2018. One week on a cruise and few days on land. Which is the better month for weather? I am sure this is the million dollar question! We will be traveling with boys ages 12, 13. No museums this time. Just want to enjoy the scenery. Want to head to Denali park. So what's preferred...July or August? Thanks

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
1. Re: July or August

My personal preference is the second half of August and first few days of September. No mosquitoes, and the best chance of seeing amazing fall colors.

Weather is weather. Can't predict it, can't control it, so come with the mindset that you'll deal with whatever happens and are not going to allow it to affect your trip. Expect rain--much of coastal Alaska is temperate rainforest. That doesn't mean it rains all the time, but measurable precipitation every other day. That is often just an intermittent drizzle but could be a steady rain.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,803 posts
171 reviews
2. Re: July or August

Our weather is so random from year to year that I don't think it's worth the effort to try and time it according to the weather. Sure it's typically dryer in June, but we had a wet June this year. Just come whenever it's most convenient for you. And then once you get here, remember this principle: Hope for the best, be prepared for th worse and have fun no matter what.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,627 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: July or August

I would pick July over August just because of the fun of more daylight hours and generally warmer temperatures. Who know what weather would be. :)

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,527 posts
3,421 reviews
4. Re: July or August

Either is recommended.

We like departing summer's heat for the crispness of Alaska.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
265 reviews
5. Re: July or August

You can't really pick based on historical weather. For example, when we went in June, a usually drier month, we hit some full days of rain. When we went in August we were fully prepared for rain, but had mostly sunshine. We kept hearing how lucky we were to experience so much sunshine in August. You just never know.

Between, July and August and I would look at what activities I was interested in and which month would be better for those activities. For example, if interested in bear tours, study the prime times for the places you will be. If interested in dog sledding on a glacier, know that if it is a warm summer, some camps may close in August. Some years they are open into September. I think you need to prioritize activities and then choose.

Like others have mentioned, I do like the longer daylight, but if I were after seeing fall colors, I would choose a time with less daylight. It always goes back to what you want to do.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,343 posts
6,456 reviews
6. Re: July or August

Either is fine.

We like September for the fall colors, but July and August - just choose as others have said the week that works best with your schedule.

Schools are out -so lots of families with children on cruises in both months.

7. Re: July or August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2018, 12:18