We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need for a public listing of traveller-rated accommodation

Queensland
6 posts
Need for a public listing of traveller-rated accommodation
Save

Hello to all you travellers out there whether you be domestic or internation.

After taking a worrying phone call from my distraught parents, I felt the need to voice my disgust at the conduct of a so-called "AAA preferred" caravan park in the Bundaberg region. My parents turned up after a long journey to find a poorly maintained and barely cleaned cabin that was not what they booked and paid for prior to arrival. The booking was for 2 nights and when they voiced their concerns and requested their money back as they did not want to stay another night, they received a tirade of abuse in a threatening tone by the manager/owner. Despite his abuse, my parents returned to the cabin very upset and worried. My father is 72 years old and my mother has a heart problem. I shudder to think what he wouldn't do if one or both of them collapsed or worse. Betcha he'd still charge them - no refunds!!

No accommodation should ever cause their guests fear. What happened to providing service to your clients who merely expect a minimum standard of accommodation for their money? One wonders about accommodation that has a "no refunds" policy printed on their receipt?!!

I would like to see if a traveller-rated accommodation either exists or how I go about creating one.

By the way, this sad excuse of accommodation and unfortunate tale can be attributed wholey and soley to Bundabery Oakwood Caravan Park, 15 Old Gin Gin Road, Bundaberg Queensland Australia. The man that runs this over rated and over priced place claims to have been doing so for 35 years! How many other travellers have copped his abuse???

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
7 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: Need for a public listing of traveller-rated accommodation
Save

Website says onsite vans from $29.50 and night and cabins from $49. Do not get any cheaper than that, get what you pay for. I find older people still think that is a lot of money, myself included at times.

Queensland
6 posts
2. Re: Need for a public listing of traveller-rated accommodation
Save

They paid $65/night for a cabin with an ensuite. they got a 2 bedroom donga with bunks in it!! No matter what the price of accommodation - no one deserves abuse for mentioning that. Why would you feel that my parents "deserved" that??

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
7 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Need for a public listing of traveller-rated accommodation
Save

Nobody deserves abuse. Not even people that sell basic rooms for the rock bottom price of $65 a night. They are not slaves. All could be handled a little better imo, all round. Very cheap, very. You cannot expect much for that price.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Need for a public listing of traveller-rated accommodation
Save

Scorpio, you need to report this to the Qld automobile Assoc. who are responsible for the ratings. If the park is affilliated with a chain, send a letter to that management. You don't need abuse from anyone.

Regardless of how much accom is, there are health regulations. So maybe a letter to the Bundaberg council would not go amiss.

That park manager is doing a great disservice to the industry.

Traveller rated accom list sounds like a good idea, but how to implement it? Your standard may not be mine. In some instances the auto bodies standards, though they are supposed to be the same throughout the state, if not the whole of Australia, are not always correct either.

A new accom is rated better than an old accom, even if the old accom has more comfort ,better fittings, etc. Crazy!.

Not every room, cabin, can be inspected, and if the management is wiley, only the best are accessable to the inspector.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
9 reviews
18 helpful votes
5. Re: Need for a public listing of traveller-rated accommodation
Save

Since the main point of your post is regarding the "AAA preferred" status of this property, I would just like to suggest that if you feel very strongly that the rating is incorrect or misleading, then voice your concerns with the AAA. Perhaps they will have another look at the property and review the AAA preferred status?

I am not aware of a traveller rated accommodation guide in print. I imagine it would be extremely difficult to do, since opinions are so subjective and varied, as you can tell when you read TA reviews and forum comments on particular properties. Just as your parents had a bad experience at this caravan park, I bet plenty of others have great things to say about it.

$65 a night is VERY cheap, but you are right, there is no excuse for abuse. I do suggest you contact the AAA and voice your concerns with them.

Queensland
6 posts
6. Re: Need for a public listing of traveller-rated accommodation
Save

the abuse was one-sided and most people expect a clean room for $65.

i have experienced both sides of tourism so i do appreciate that travellers experiences can be wide and varied. that said abusing tired travellers isn't warranted.

Queensland
6 posts
7. Re: Need for a public listing of traveller-rated accommodation
Save

thanks to those who have offered words of assistance.

I will be contacting the suggested people over the next few days.

the price/night was never a dispute, just that a clean room be offered with at least a civil customer service.

take care everyone.

8. Re: Need for a public listing of traveller-rated accommodation

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 09:16
Get answers to your questions about Bundaberg
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.