We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound AND Franz Josef Glacier during 3 day trip?

D H
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Milford Sound AND Franz Josef Glacier during 3 day trip?

I'm spending three nights in Queenstown late this month. I am planning on going to Milford Sound on one day with a tour group (haven't decided which one).

A friend of mine who lived in NZ for a few months was also telling me about Franz Josef glacier. I wonder if it'd be feasible to make a trip there on the second day? Not sure how far it'll be, and I might get burnt out, so maybe it'd be better to stick around Queenstown and see some more local sites?

4 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
11,427 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Milford Sound AND Franz Josef Glacier during 3 day trip?

You don't have time to get to Franz Josef and back to Queenstown.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
484 reviews
2. Re: Milford Sound AND Franz Josef Glacier during 3 day trip?

Definitely not. You would need a minimum of two days to get to franz and back and even then Queenstown to Franz is a long drive in a day. It would leave little time to explore.

Perhaps consider mt cook instead and walk to the hooker lake and glacier, or view tasman glacier.

Edited: 14 September 2018, 11:38
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,565 posts
450 reviews
3. Re: Milford Sound AND Franz Josef Glacier during 3 day trip?

Where are you going after QTN? As above QTN to FJG is around 8 hr ONE way on a coach so you would need 3 days/2N minimum. With 2 full days & 1N you could go to Aoraki Mt Cook (technically you could do it in a day as the coach goes there in the morning and back in the afternoon, but you would only have about 2-3 hours on the ground in an 11 hour day):

https:/…

D H
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Milford Sound AND Franz Josef Glacier during 3 day trip?

Back to Sydney before I return to the US.

Reply to: Milford Sound AND Franz Josef Glacier during 3 day trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Queenstown