We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasses in hand luggage allowed with Ryanair?

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
20 helpful votes
Glasses in hand luggage allowed with Ryanair?
Save

Hi,

I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere, so would really apprciate it if anyone can help.

Basically, I'm going to Memmingen just before Christmas - flying with Ryanair - and my mum has seen a set of drinking glasses online that she'd like me to get for her Christmas present. The problem is that I'm travelling with only hand luggage, and am a bit worried that a set of 6 glasses may be confiscated at the airport - being glass, they may look at it as a potential weapon???

Has anyone ever has experience with this? I could send them by mail, but would hate for hem to arrive broken - wouldn't make for a good present :o(

Altstadt Memmingen
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Rathaus Memmingen
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
13 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: Glasses in hand luggage allowed with Ryanair?
Save

There is absolutely no way that you will be allowed to bring glasses through security at any airport. However once you are through you can purchase glass bottles in the Duty Free and bring them on board. Crazy!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
17,354 posts
53 reviews
101 helpful votes
2. Re: Glasses in hand luggage allowed with Ryanair?
Save

Having just flown with a glass beer stein in my luggage, there was no problem. However, you never can really guess what some people might consider a weapon or be inappropriate to carry on board, it partially depends on the people inspecting the hand luggage.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
24,637 posts
7 reviews
58 helpful votes
3. Re: Glasses in hand luggage allowed with Ryanair?
Save

Anything heavy cd be a weapon, even a book!

I've certainly taken pottery/china through in hand-luggage and possibly a couple of glasses at some point.

I agrre it depends very much on the checker. I have brought tins of salmon from the Uk to Spain in hanfdluggage but had a tin confiscated at Schönefeld with the argument it contained liquid. I pointed out they cd see I had no tin-opener and in any case the liquid was prob. 20g at most. But the container is over 100g he said (NB sealed container!). Of course the argument that you cd "brain" someone with a tin (not that I would!) wasn't mentioned, although that wd be the common-sense reason to confiscate it. But then these rules aren't based on common sense: can you highjack a plane with a pair of tweezers? blow it up with peanut butter??

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: Glasses in hand luggage allowed with Ryanair?
Save

Thanks for the advice. I think you're right, I'll best not try it if I want to keep the glasses. Possibly I'd get away bringing one on, but a set of 6 really would be pushing it I guess. Post and fingers crossed it is then!

I forgot that things as basic as tweezers were not allowed anymore - I wonder if I'll be allowed to take my book in with me? Paper cuts can be quite nasty! :o)

5. Re: Glasses in hand luggage allowed with Ryanair?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2010, 13:17
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.