We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation and "Night Life" Questions

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
471 posts
27 reviews
Transportation and "Night Life" Questions

We are considering Praiano for our mid May 2019 visit. We have been to Italy before but this would be our first time in the Amalfi Coast. Originally we planned on Positano but I'm starting to lean more towards Praiano but have a couple questions:

1) it appears praiano is well served by buses and I understand these can be crowded at times. However, I've read conflicting info regarding whether or not water taxis serve the area. Could someone confirm?

2). I understand Praiano is on the quiet side and which is fine for us. However, we do like to go out to dinner and maybe do some casual shopping, get some gelato, etc before retiring to our room which would be before 10 pm. Would Praiano fit the bill for this or would be needing to go to Positano for dinners? Thank you for your help!

1 reply
Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Transportation and "Night Life" Questions

Yes water taxis are available at Marina la Praia. Expect to pay in the neighborhood of 30 euro to Positano. Also it’s possible to get a water taxi from Gavitella but that means descending 400 stairway steps.

I would not rely on SITA bus service but would plan on the Mobility Amalfi Coast bus to and from Positano.

Yes there are several excellent restaurants. For gelato there is Bar del Sole. Also a new shop opened up on the other side of the village next to the palestra which I have not tried but will check out when I return to Praiano tomorrow.

There is not much in the way of shopping. Positano is better for that.

Reply to: Transportation and "Night Life" Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Praiano