We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring the Amalfi Coast from Praiano

Boston...
11 posts
Exploring the Amalfi Coast from Praiano

My fiance and I will be traveling to the Amalfi Coast for our honeymoon in June of 2019. Neither of us have ever been so I'm in search of some advice & recommendations.

I'm trying to select one of the towns on the Coast to serve as our home base. Our ideal location would be romantic with beaches nearby as well as opportunities for hiking. Also I'd like to be close to a variety of restaurants and shopping. Ideally I'd like it to be accessible to other towns on the Coast because we're most definitely planning on doing some exploring.

Praiano seems like it's a great option for all of the above, however, it seems to be a bit tricky to get to the other towns? I've read a lot about traffic and crowded buses during the high season. Is it really that difficult to get to/from Positano, Amalfi, etc. from Praiano? We would be traveling mid-June.

Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,121 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Exploring the Amalfi Coast from Praiano

The easiest towns to stay in from a traveling point of view are those connected by ferry, so Positano, Amalfi, Minori, Maiori, or Cetara.

Praiano limits you to the SITA bus or taxis, one is crowded and slow, the other is expensive and slow.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Exploring the Amalfi Coast from Praiano

You can easily get to Positano from Praiano by the bus that runs between them about every 60-90 minutes. Sometimes it's crowded, but most of the time we have easily found seats. If you take it, stay on it until it gets to its last stop in Positano in Piazza Mulini. From there it's a short walk to the beach. There you can purchase ferry tickets to Capri or Amalfi. The cruise along the coast gives you a great view of that section of the Amalfi Coast. Y

You can also take a water taxi from Praiano to Amalfi or Positano but it's more expensive. The SITA buses can be crowded, but we've used them many times between Praiano and Amalfi. Once in Amalfi you have to catch another bus for the 15 minute ride up to Ravello

There is also a ferry to Capri that will pick you up at 9:00 am down in the cove in Praiano.

We love Praiano because it's quiet and very few tourists. It has many nice hotels and very good restaurants also. We call our stays there our "vacation from our vacation." We've ended all 9 of our trips in Praiano and will again in October.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Exploring the Amalfi Coast from Praiano

Ciao!

Praiano is a lovely town to base yourself although it is one of those town's on the coast that is tricky when wanting to travel to other towns. Amalfi is the heart and centre. You can bus from Amalfi to Ravello, Positano, Minori, Maiori, Praiano, Sorrento, Agerlola (where the path of the gods begins) etc. Or you can take the ferry from Amalfi to Positano, to Capri, . Of course yes you could stay in Positano and you could catch the ferry to Amalfi and then get on a bus to the other towns but in all honesty if you want to be in the centre of the action and if you would like to explore other towns each day Amalfi would be the ideal place to stay.

Or you could stay in the town next door called Atrani only a 5 minute walk around the corner from Amalfi. Here Atrani has a cute beach also neighbouring is a beach called Castliglone, a beach where all the locals go to have fun in the water. Beaches on the Amalfi Coast can get a little crowded but there's always the option of going somewhere secluded like Conca di Marini or Santa Croce beach.

I hope this helps :)

Israel
Level Contributor
185 posts
209 reviews
4. Re: Exploring the Amalfi Coast from Praiano

We stayed in Praiano! It is a wonderful choice. See my blog of our days on the Amalfi Coast and Capri.

I think it may assist you.

Enjoy!

https://time4travel4less.wixsite.com/website…

Phoenix, Arizona...
1 post
1 review
5. Re: Exploring the Amalfi Coast from Praiano

We chose to stay in Praiano and did not regret it. Getting to the other towns is costly or a hassle no matter where you stay, but you can hike to Positano from Praiano and we chose to take a taxi to Ravello and walk down to Amalfi from there, limiting how much transportation we needed. We also wanted a hotel with a private beach, which Praiano offered.

San Diego...
3 posts
6. Re: Exploring the Amalfi Coast from Praiano

I'm leaving for Italy 3 weeks from today and trying to decide on a home base for the Amalfi coast. How much is a taxi ride from Praiano to Positano and also from Praiano to Amalfi? I know from reading the other comments that Praiano is a quieter place to stay, is there much else to do in this little town? I'm traveling alone, single female and of course want to feel safe if I'm taking the bus back to Praiano at night. Also from reading there are 2 sides to stay in Praiano, which is better? Any other recommendations on hotels on a budget? I'll be taking the train from Florence, any advise on best way to reach Praiano or Amalfi from probalby Sorrento? Any help would be great. Thanks, can't wait to see it all.

San Diego...
3 posts
7. Re: Exploring the Amalfi Coast from Praiano

I'm leaving for Italy 3 weeks from today and trying to decide on a home base for the Amalfi coast. How much is a taxi ride from Praiano to Positano and also from Praiano to Amalfi? I know from reading the other comments that Praiano is a quieter place to stay, is there much else to do in this little town? I'm traveling alone, single female and of course want to feel safe if I'm taking the bus back to Praiano at night. Also from reading there are 2 sides to stay in Praiano, which is better? Any other recommendations on hotels on a budget? I'll be taking the train from Florence, any advise on best way to reach Praiano or Amalfi from probalby Sorrento? Any help would be great. Thanks, can't wait to see it all.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Exploring the Amalfi Coast from Praiano

A taxi to or from Positano is most likely 20+ euro these days. From Amalfi I paid 45 last September. There is not a lot to do other than go to the beach, take a cooking class at Hotel Margherita, go kayaking, walk 1700 stairway steps up to San Domenico to see the ancient monastery and stupendous views, and enjoy a nice lunch or dinner. If you’ll be there on Sept 19 that’s the date of San Gennaro’s festa so there will be a religious procession at 6pm and fireworks over San Gennaro church at 9pm.

There are two sides to the village. The Praia side is the sunrise side and the Vettica side is the sunset side. Both sides are quiet but the Vettica side is a bit more lively with businesses along the main SS163 roadway.

At this point you may have trouble finding availability. If Hotel le Fioriere is available it is a good place to stay for a single woman (at least the one I spoke with a couple of years ago said so) and the family that owns and operates it are good people. You should feel very safe in Praiano.

From Florence, I would train to Salerno and then ferry to Amalfi and then SITA bus to Praiano. Or go all the way to Positano because from there you could carry your stuff or hire a porter to do go up to Piazza dei Mulini where you could catch the Mobility Amalfi Coast bus to Praiano. The advantage there is that the MAC bus goes up Via G. Marconi and then down Via Umberto I so if your lodging is up above the SS163 you might be able to get closer on that bus.

PS go to www.praiano.org for good info on the village.

Edited: 13 August 2018, 12:01
Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Exploring the Amalfi Coast from Praiano

Praiano is a beautiful spot to make as your base. Positano is busy and loud. You can check sites like summer in italy if you don't want to stay in a hotel. For a great experience you have to try Sergio's Home Experience it's a must do.

Congratulations and have a wonderful trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Exploring the Amalfi Coast from Praiano

I just came back a few days ago and we stayed in Praiano. We think it is the best location, you are in the middle and you travel by Sita bus. Yes bus can be crowded but going towards Positano, you will get a seat, going towards Amalfi probably not but this is true for anywhere on the coast and it was not so bad. The bus tickets can be purchased from the computer store across the bus stop, about maybe 100 metres. It is the only place to buy the tickets. Other towns will be the same, usually at the Tabagie. The beauty of Praiano is that it is the only town where the sun is not hidden by the mountain, you will have the most beautiful sunset. Be prepare for steps any town you pick, this is how you get the view. It is not bad, take your time, take mini breaks before you are out of breath and they are very easy to manage. My 87 year old Dad and 83 year old Mom did fine for 5 days. In Praiano you see Capri. It is easy to get to it by ferry. We did a tour for 80€, they picked us up and brought us to the boat in Praiano, we did a tour around the island, than had 4 hours to visit Capri. They will drop you off at the blue grotto if you want to get off but the wait can be long. The blue is only visible on sunny days usually between 12:00 and 14:00. The green grotto is probably nicer but this is debatable. We liked it more. Praiano is more quiet than the other town and not as expensive. Positano and Amalfi will be more busy. We saw a lot of honeymooners so this seems to be a good choice. Regardless of the town you pick, travel to the other towns is easy. Positano, Amalfi and Revello are the usual towns. Visiting Pompeii is easy, take the Sita Bus, than the train at the bus stop and you get to Pompeii in no time. DO NOT BUY ticket when you get off the train, the only valid tickets are in the park. The Website will warn you. The vendors at the train station will try to get you to buy from them, don’t, they are more expensive. You can always get a tour but with the Rick Steve app, you can get there on your own easily. I hope this help.

Reply to: Exploring the Amalfi Coast from Praiano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Praiano