We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport between Praiano and other towns at Amalfia coast

Shanghai, China
3 posts
1 review
Transport between Praiano and other towns at Amalfia coast

Hi,

My husband and I planned to stay at Praiano for 2 nights at the end of Sep. We will also stay at Sorrento for 2 nights before then, so that we may go to Capri, Positano and Amalfia by ferry. But we will still need to visit other towns from Praiano. Can anyone advise whether it is convenient to take buses from Praiano to other towns at Amalfia coast?

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,931 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Transport between Praiano and other towns at Amalfia coast

Amalfi coast buses www.sitasudtrasporti.it enter region "Campania" click on Orari for bus times

www.amalficoast.com

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
167 reviews
2. Re: Transport between Praiano and other towns at Amalfia coast

No, it's not convenient. Be prepared to wait as the buses cannot follow a schedule due to heavy traffic. Also be prepared for the buses to bypass the Praiano stops as they are too full to pick up passengers.

There is a local Mobility bus that goes to Positano and back - again, it also sits in traffic.

Shanghai, China
3 posts
1 review
3. Re: Transport between Praiano and other towns at Amalfia coast

Thanks Kathy. Would it be busy in the end of Sep? Do you think it's better to stay at Amalfia or Positano if we need to visit other towns?

New York
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Transport between Praiano and other towns at Amalfia coast

The buses at the end of September will be jam packed. Priaino is not a convenient base if trying to go elsewhere. Your whole plan doesn’t make much sense. With only 2 nights in Sorrento you have one full day and 2 nights on the Amalfi Coast also gives you only one full day. With just 4 nights you should pick one place to stay and not two. At least if you stay in one place for 4 nights you’ll have 3 full days in the area instead of two. Don’t underestimate how long it takes to get around especially if you intend to use buses

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
167 reviews
5. Re: Transport between Praiano and other towns at Amalfia coast

MiriamLisa is correct. Choose one place.

My situation on the buses was end of September/early October. I couldn't believe how crowded they were. I was standing all the way from Positano to Amalfi. The only passengers the bus picked up were locals who hopped on at the back door and not at a designated bus stop. Everyone else was left behind.

Shanghai, China
3 posts
1 review
6. Re: Transport between Praiano and other towns at Amalfia coast

Oh, my God! The public traffic is beyond my expectation. Actually, I planned to stay at Sorrento for 2 nights because I would like to go to Capri and take the ferry to Positano. Also, the B&B I booked there was not available for additional days. What if I moved my second stay to Atrina which would be easier for me to visit Amalfi and other small towns southwards? After adjustment, I may have maximum 3 nights at Atrina. Does that make sense in your understanding about the traffic there? Or, do you still think it's better to pick one base for the entire 5 nights?

1 post
7. Re: Transport between Praiano and other towns at Amalfia coast

I have a similar question. We are staying in sorrento in August for 5 nights - to do Pompeii, Vesuvius, the town and chill for a day or two. We figured it was too far from Amalfi Coast to be able to absorb the whole atmosphere as trying to avoid hiring a car, andwould like the evenings there.. 2 questions.. is it possible to hop between the towns on a water taxi, rather than bus? And if we were going to stay on the coast there, how long should we plan for and which town would you recommend ? We have 2 kids 10 and 12 and would like to do the grotto caves etc. We would stay for a week, but I’m concerned about how hot it will be, and places with pools are few and far between! We are travelling from Rome by train to sorrento, then fly back out of Rome at the end. ThNks

New York
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
39 reviews
8. Re: Transport between Praiano and other towns at Amalfia coast

It makes no sense to go from Sorrento ( Not on the Amalfi Coast) to Positano (On the Amalfi Coast) for a day trip if you’re planning to stay in Priaino (On the Amalfi Coast) which is right next door or anywhere else on the Amalfi Coast. You can also go to Capri from the Amalfi Coast, you do not need to go from Sorrento. Staying in Sorrento for 2 nights only gives you one full day anyway so you really have time for only one day trip. If everything you want to do is mostly on the Amalfi Coast why are you staying in Sorrento??

You’ve yet to disclose where you actually want to visit on the Amalfi Coast, but from what little I could gather it seems your best bet would be to stay in Amalfi the whole time. From there you have ferries and buses both north and south. If by Atrina you mean Atrani it’s a tiny hamlet and you can walk to Amalfi in about 20 minutes or so. Be aware that it will probably have nothing going on in the evenings if that’s something that matters to you

Reply to: Transport between Praiano and other towns at Amalfia coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Praiano