We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thoughts on inclement-weather day trips?

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
836 posts
199 reviews
191 helpful votes
thoughts on inclement-weather day trips?
Save

We're visiting Saundersfoot for six days from this Thursday - it will be our first visit to the area. We like a mix of coast, wildlife, local history but not hills as I've got a knee problem at the mo.

We're National Trust members and plan to visit a couple of sites in the area (Stackpole and Colby Woodland) We were planning to take a boat trip over to the islands near St Davids but its looking pretty windy with unpredictable weather and reckon it'll have to wait for another visit - shame ... Of course we'll be enjoying the beaches (and rock pooling when I can!)

So we would really welcome any other thoughts and ideas anyone has to add a bit of variety and a taste of the area, especially any inclement weather ideas. We are also having trouble booking suppers so reckon we'll be eating in the local towns and villages after our visits!

Many thanks, Sarah

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,840 posts
19 reviews
47 helpful votes
1. Re: thoughts on inclement-weather day trips?
Save

St Davids is always worth a trip , the cathedral is magnificent. The Oriel Y Parc visitor centre is also worth a visit, it often has special exhibits and has the Graham Sutherland collection.

While you’re in that area visit Porthgain and have lunch at The Sloop or the fish restaurant ( name escapes me just now).

Picton Castle is a quirky stately home which you might enjoy.

There’s a sweet little museum in Narberth and lots of small shops. The vegetarian ‘Plum Vanilla Cafe ‘ serves delicious food and ‘Fire and Ice’ just opposite makes and sells delicious ice cream.

The real secret in Pembrokeshire is to try to ignore the weather as much as you can, and just dress appropriately.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: thoughts on inclement-weather day trips?
Save

I went to Pembroke Castle on a wet day, though luckily it eased off a bit while we enjoyed the excellent guided tour. One of my favourite Castles; the earls of Pembroke were key players in British, not just Welsh, medieval history: storiesof the 12th century annexation of parts of Ireland from there, William Strongbow (yes, like the cider!) , William Marshall, birthplace of Henry Tudor ... I'm sure itd be even better without the rain, but there are several different presentation areas that are under cover, plus cafe and shop, so it's not a complete washout in bad weather, and there are relatively few such options in the county .... . ( I was there early May about 5 years ago, when it was relatively quiet; I suspect on a wet day in the coming weeks it'll be packed though ....)

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: thoughts on inclement-weather day trips?
Save

I haven't been myself, and it's certainly not known as a tourist destination, but a friend has said that I should visit Milford Haven, as she thinks the old town part is lovely. Apparently neat and pretty, developed in an American grid-pattern style by Quaker whalers brought over from Nantucket.

https://www.milfordwaterfront.co.uk/discover/our-history#

Perhaps worth a peek or stroll when you're wanting a town that'll have some cafes, maybe a museum (?)

Edited: 01 September 2021, 01:59
Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
836 posts
199 reviews
191 helpful votes
4. Re: thoughts on inclement-weather day trips?
Save

Thank you all for the replies - incredibly we had NO RAIN so didn’t use any of the suggestions but will save them for our next visit as we loved the area!

Reply to: thoughts on inclement-weather day trips?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saundersfoot
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.