We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day trips from gateshead

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 day trips from gateshead
Save

Hi all,

My husband and I are going to be visiting friends in Gateshead this July and will have 2 days in which to see the surronding area. As of now, we don't plan to go to scotland and we will be relying on public transportation. I am overwhelmed with how much there is to do there. I would like to see the coast and possibly northumberland national park, is this realistic? I have never been to England before and both my husband and myself enjoy taking walks. Any suggestions of how to enjoy the area?

6 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
37,218 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: 2 day trips from gateshead
Save

Hadrian's Wall, Beamish Open Air Museum and Durham are all easily reached by public transport from Gateshead, if you have a Saturday or Sunday then go to Tynemouth for the Station Market and walk to the coast from there

Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
36 reviews
40 helpful votes
2. Re: 2 day trips from gateshead
Save

Seahouses, and a boat trip to the Farne Islands.

Check the tide times, and if suitable go to Lindisfarne Island.

There’s more to do in north east England than in most places......but don’t tell anyone else, please. ;-)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
3. Re: 2 day trips from gateshead
Save

I see that that’s why I’m asking for help 😀. I wish we had more time. It all looks so amazing

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
29 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: 2 day trips from gateshead
Save

I am frankly amazed someone is coming here!

Coast is more than realistic: Bamburgh, Seahouses, Saltburn, Cullercoats and Tynemouth are all good spots, the latter two only a Metro ride away.

Northumberland National Park is difficult if you don’t have a car, as is much of Northumberland. If you do though then it’s all good.

For other ideas, Gibside Hall is quite a nice attraction in Gateshead, as is Tanfield Railway. There’s also the aforementioned Beamish Museum and city of Durham, and Washington Old Hall which apparently was home to the ancestors of a certain founding father.

Cullercoats, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
177 reviews
114 helpful votes
5. Re: 2 day trips from gateshead
Save

I would suggest getting the metro to Cullercoats walk down to the sea front have a coffee then walk along to Tynemouth where there are plenty of pubs and restaurants for lunch. When you catch the metro back get off in Newcastle and walk around the centre to take in the architecture then down to the quayside for another coffee or beer break.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
87 reviews
134 helpful votes
6. Re: 2 day trips from gateshead
Save

Beamish is good if you like history etc and you can have a full day there also Sunderland airshow is starting which is a short ride on metro

Reply to: 2 day trips from gateshead
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gateshead
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.