We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping pods on Aberdeen - Shetlands ferry

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
438 reviews
145 helpful votes
Sleeping pods on Aberdeen - Shetlands ferry
Save

Are they worth it? And do they recline far back it's just I prefer a flat surface to sleep on but will tolerate something like a 45 degree incline. Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
65,464 posts
11 reviews
89 helpful votes
1. Re: Sleeping pods on Aberdeen - Shetlands ferry
Save

I haven't taken the NorthLink ferry (yet), but given the choice of accommodation and time on board, I'd probably book a berth in a shared cabin rather than a sleeping pod.

The cost is about twice that (for a two berth cabin) of the sleeping pod, but I think it would be worth it. I don't think the sleeping pods have exceptional recline; click on the pictures for a bigger view of what to expect: http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/on-board/accommodation/

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
28 reviews
31 helpful votes
2. Re: Sleeping pods on Aberdeen - Shetlands ferry
Save

I've not seen the travel pods either as they weren't on the service the last time we used it. We have only gone as far as Orkney and after our first trip sitting the whole way, (which just happened to be a rough crossing and people all around were being ill) we have always opted for a cabin. As you will be on the boat all night I'd go for a cabin if you can afford it. Much comfier - you should actually get some decent sleep, and the cabin has it's own loo and shower.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
106,157 posts
440 reviews
362 helpful votes
3. Re: Sleeping pods on Aberdeen - Shetlands ferry
Save

From the picture, it doesn't really look like a pod at all, more of premium reclining seat. Unless I was really strapped for cash, I'd go for the cabin instead.

Banchory, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
25,019 posts
151 reviews
186 helpful votes
4. Re: Sleeping pods on Aberdeen - Shetlands ferry
Save

My daughter did the trip and it takes over 12 hours (if the weather is bad it may take longer). She had a cabin and recommended it.

The pods are not like the Japanese pods they are just big seats. 100% better to get a cabin.

1 post
1 review
5. Re: Sleeping pods on Aberdeen - Shetlands ferry
Save

I booked a cabin for outward and return journeys last year but didn't get a wink of sleep in either direction. All the cabins are in the rear half of the boat and on both journeys my cabin was at the stern and appeared to be directly above the engines. The noise was excessive all night long making sleep impossible. I was hoping the pods, being towards the prow, might be better but if they don't recline flat then probably not. I think I'll just kip on a bench seat in the lounge as I saw quite a few people doing last year.

Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
50,808 posts
73 reviews
185 helpful votes
6. Re: Sleeping pods on Aberdeen - Shetlands ferry
Save

Hmm. this post is from 4 years ago.

Shetland Islands...
Level Contributor
978 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Sleeping pods on Aberdeen - Shetlands ferry
Save

It might be 4 years old but the pods are still there and still getting mixed reviews from users.

Reply to: Sleeping pods on Aberdeen - Shetlands ferry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lerwick
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.