We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Songesand - Lysebotn car ferry in September

Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
Songesand - Lysebotn car ferry in September
Save

I'm planning a trip in September between Stavanger and Alesund. A part of my journey would look as follows:

1/ Hike Preikestolen (and continue the drive after the hike to a village near Lysebotn for an overnight stay)

2/ Hike Kjeragbolten (and stay overnight again near Lysebotn)

3/ Drive from Lysebotn to Odda via scenic route 13. Stay overnight in Odda.

4/ Hike Trolltunga (and stay again overnight in Odda)

While planning step 3, I was counting on taking the ferry Songesand - Lysebotn (with my car). However, while looking for ferry timetables, I am not sure if this ferry will be running during September? Could anyone confirm this?

When looking at Google Maps, when removing the Songesand - Lysebotn ferry, it looks like I would either be missing the scenic road 13 (by going via alternative route 9 + E134), or would have to drive a long detour all the way back to Stavanger. Did I miss any other scenic option to go by car from Lysebotn to Odda (while trying to keep driving distances lower than 4 hours/day)?

Thanks a lot!

4 replies to this topic
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
23,473 posts
41 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: Songesand - Lysebotn car ferry in September
Save

1/ there is no village near Lysebotn, only Lysebotn.

This ferry runs all year - https://www.kolumbus.no/globalassets/ruter/baatruter/tabell-for-lysefjorden-2021.pdf

But timing may not be convenient.

Probably best to do Kjerag as a day trip from Stavanger.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
41,132 posts
38 reviews
36 helpful votes
2. Re: Songesand - Lysebotn car ferry in September
Save

The passenger/car combination ferry has a very limited capacity for cars and car space needs to be booked in advance.

Note that both Kjerag and Trolltunga are at higher altitudes, so September could give weather surprises. Make sure you monitor conditions on www.yr.no

Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
3. Re: Songesand - Lysebotn car ferry in September
Save

Thanks a lot, appreciate the advice! In the end, I will indeed try to return to Stavanger after hiking Kjeragbolten, it seems the best choice with the most flexibility. The day before the hike I will however already stay near Fidjeland so that I can start the hiking day early.

It's looking to be a good chance of rain during my stay though. Would you have any recommendations for places nearby Lysebotn/Fidjeland to visit while on a rainy day?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
41,132 posts
38 reviews
36 helpful votes
4. Re: Songesand - Lysebotn car ferry in September
Save

These places are remote fjord areas in the middle of nowhere, nature is the king, the petrol station is your restaurant😁

And yes, autumn and the change in the weather that usually follows has arrived🌦

Reply to: Songesand - Lysebotn car ferry in September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rogaland
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.