We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lapland mid March

Leuven, Belgium
2 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Lapland mid March
Save

Hi,

I was wondering where would be the best town to visit lapland for few days (mostly to enjoy some snowshoeing, watching northern lights, enjoy the sceneries). Most other typical activities I've done before, so now the focus would be on being in nature, ... Also, on a practical level, since I would fly from Helsinki to any location in Lapland, it would have to be around max 1h drive from the airport (or train station in case going by train from Helsinki). I've heard Akaslompolo is nice, but am afraid it's only good if you're up for skiing? I've heard Inari is nice, but how safe is it nowadays due to the border proximity? In total I would have about 7 days, and although I've travelled to a lot of different continents/places, I know winter/colder places are always trickier to plan so that's why i'm wondering if someone can give me some advices here.

Thanks a million

2 replies to this topic
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
94 reviews
50 helpful votes
1. Re: Lapland mid March
Save

Finland is not at war with Russia. Inari is in fact further away from Kiev than Brussels is. Life here is normal. And Russia has moved a lot of its troops from the Finnish border down south to Ukraine so in practice they don't have means to open another front here.

Äkäslompolo is an authentic Lappish village that has grown with tourism. It was there already before the ski resort was opened. Ylläs ski resort is not at the village but a bus ride away.

Inari is the centre of Sami people in Finland and there's also the Sami museum Siida there. However, for a tourist Saariselkä would be easier to reach and it has also more services readily available. You can make a day trip to Inari from Saariselkä.

The excursions you have in mind are available in all the resorts.

Edited: 21 January 2023, 06:04
Leuven, Belgium
2 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Lapland mid March
Save

Thanks Zam,

I will check those places out

Reply to: Lapland mid March
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lapland
Recent Conversations
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.