We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days Mid September - book now or last minute?

London, United...
Level Contributor
886 posts
11 reviews
4 helpful votes
10 days Mid September - book now or last minute?
Save

Hi all,

After months of trying to persuade my girlfriend to go abroad this year she has finally agreed after realizing it doesn't seem to be as bad as everyone makes out.

Yes there is a small chance of either of us testing positive before flying back to the UK but like others have said we shouldn't let that small chance mean we miss out on a much needed break. If we have to isolate then so be it, the package holidays seem to be cheap at the minute so worth the risk we feel.

We both have 18th- 29th off work so have chosen 19-28th September as our dates. With the next review on the 16th we are not sure if we should wait until then which will give us a few days to book somewhere last minute or book in the next week so we can then at least guarantee the booking.

What I am not sure of however is if we were to book say next week but Greece then goes on the Red list at the next review what happens? do we get our money back or do we have to choose a new holiday? does it depend where we book?

We are just not sure if it is best to book soon or wait last minute if anyone has any advice.

We will be going to Faliraki, all inclusive and usually book through loveholidays.

11 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
21 posts
336 reviews
293 helpful votes
1. Re: 10 days Mid September - book now or last minute?
Save

I was in the same position with plans to travel on 4th Sept but waiting for the review yesterday.

It was a complete rollercoaster with prices going up and down, I decided from around 5pm yesterday to sit with the quote/booking on my screen and then as soon as Rhodes (Greece) was left in Amber I bit the bullet and paid for the trip.

2 hours later price had risen by £300 and this morning was £500 more, I suspect more through a raft of new bookings being made rather than the fact Greece remains off the Red List but hope that helps and you manage to get a booking made.

I chose to wait for the travel review having had 4 separate bookings/flights cancelled and dealing with vouchers and refunds over the past 18 months.

London, United...
Level Contributor
918 posts
1 review
2. Re: 10 days Mid September - book now or last minute?
Save

I personally believe Greece will stay Amber so rules will stay much the same with regard to travel from the UK. There is also the risk of restrictions in Greece but I suspect if you are fully vaccinated you will be ok as they seem to be concentrating on the amount of residents refusing the vaccine.

I would book now as many places are already full as September is very popular with couples who are most likely to be vaccinated. Have you thought of booking flights and accomodation seperately? Flights atm are very flexible and can be changed. Check the reviews for Loveholidays with regard to refunds/changes as I don't think they have been great .

London, United...
Level Contributor
886 posts
11 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: 10 days Mid September - book now or last minute?
Save

Hi there,

We are more leaning towards paying for everything next week. I will read more into what happens if Greece does go red and we have booked but as long as we get a credit to use at a later date or something that wouldn't bother us.

We will look over the weekend to see how much it will be overall if we book the flights separately. Best package deal we have found so far is £750pp all inclusive 4 star hotel with flights right on the beach too, we paid £900 for a similar deal last year.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
17 reviews
37 helpful votes
4. Re: 10 days Mid September - book now or last minute?
Save

I’d book a package deal now. Some good bargains about. Choice will likely diminish as travel date nears. 🤷🏽‍♀️

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
43 reviews
48 helpful votes
5. Re: 10 days Mid September - book now or last minute?
Save

I agree check out Love holidays as on my last Greek holiday 2 young girls arrived at their resort and had a surprise NO Accomodation for them. I met them as they managed to get a cheap studio near me in my resort miles away from their chosen resort They had to pay for the taxi themselves.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
17 reviews
37 helpful votes
6. Re: 10 days Mid September - book now or last minute?
Save

I would not use a company that ‘puts holidays together’, hence complex issues arise when any hurdles are encountered.

Select a main T.O. with clear transfer/refund policies. Much more reliable option in the current climate,

Bawtry, United...
Level Contributor
431 posts
106 reviews
71 helpful votes
7. Re: 10 days Mid September - book now or last minute?
Save

I would totally avoid Love Holidays - check out the multiple negative reviews on TA and other forums. After saying that, a package may be a better bet for some - Jet2 come out with consistently good reports in relation to refunds. The only thing I can say is that I always book independently (3 + holidays a year for) and so far, during Covid and before, have lost £0. Flights have been changed or refunded, dependent on the circumstances, with Easyjet, Jet2, TUI, and accomodation owners have either refunded or held deposits until we can get there, even if booked as non refundable (pre Covid). IMHO a superb outcome and demonstrates the true generosity of the Greek people. So my message is, check the rules with flights and speak to the accomodation owners but dont be afraid to book direct. BUT do make sure you have decent travel insurance for Covid and other potential situations.

Amy
Petersfield, United...
Level Contributor
651 posts
93 reviews
81 helpful votes
8. Re: 10 days Mid September - book now or last minute?
Save

Book when the price is right for you. If it’s cheap now, book now. The only time it gets cheaper is when no one wants it ( think about why that might be). Flights go up, hotels go down. I can’t see Europe changing colour to red especially where tourists are more open air ( as opposed to Barcelona , Rome city breaks)

They say 3/4 weeks is the best time to book and honestly for the sake of £20 I wouldn’t sweat it. Honestly book something. It’s amazing to be away.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
17 reviews
37 helpful votes
9. Re: 10 days Mid September - book now or last minute?
Save

#7. Yeah. DIY holidays are definitely better than using third party arrangers. This is where some customers had mighty struggles early season to establish if their hotels were even open and there were some real horror stories about people arriving to shuttered up accommodation.

If using a T.O. like Jet2, with one click you know you’re getting flight, hotel, luggage, transfers etc sorted. Job done. At the present time, there are advantages to this though, of course, it does limit choice 🤷🏽‍♀️.

London, United...
Level Contributor
886 posts
11 reviews
4 helpful votes
10. Re: 10 days Mid September - book now or last minute?
Save

Hi all

Just had a look at the flights separately, £120 each including luggage for return trip, very cheap. When Covid first appeared we had a flights booked to Venice which we had to cancel and Ryanair gave us credit to use which was no problem so wouldn't mind that again if weren't able to fly.

Will look later at hotels and see what we can find, we have both agreed to book over the next few days.

Reply to: 10 days Mid September - book now or last minute?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rhodes
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.