We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice area on Kalymnos?

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
97 reviews
74 helpful votes
Nice area on Kalymnos?
Save

Hi all, and thanks for your help!

Couple, looking for a pleasant, low key place to stay on Kalymnos for 2 nights.

Enjoy walking, swimming, taverna life, local culture.

Bit worried that the big tour companies have moved in....

Seeking the “ old Greece!”

( having read Charmian Cliffs wonderful book about the spongedivers on Kalymnos, Mermaids Singing, we will spend a day around the Port)

4 replies to this topic
Powys, United...
Level Contributor
528 posts
1. Re: Nice area on Kalymnos?
Save

Have a look at Vathi on Kalymnos. That may be the kind of location that you're looking for. Alternatively, there is Myrties where we're staying for a couple of days in September.

I know that Jet2 have a presence on Kalymnos, but I think it's restricted to Massouri and is fairly low key anyway.

Vathi would not have the choice of accommodation or tavernas that you would find in Myrties, but would offer better walking opportunities, including the Italian Path to Pothia. Myrties has the advantage of being located right opposite the car-free island of Telendos, with regular short ferry crossings.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
43 reviews
48 helpful votes
2. Re: Nice area on Kalymnos?
Save

There is no diving for sponges anymore. We were shown the warehouse where boxes and boxes were piled up from places like Thailand. They will tell you at the shops and stalls they are local they are not. Same when we were on Symi I heard the stall holder saying local sponges no way. Surprising how many people fall for it. Hope you enjoy your holiday.

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Dodecanese, Kavala, Samos
Level Contributor
12,529 posts
29 reviews
43 helpful votes
3. Re: Nice area on Kalymnos?
Save

Next to Vathy and Myrties already mentioned, I would like to draw your attention to Vlichadia. Definitely low key and you'll find there also the privately owned Valsamidis museum with 1000's of artifacts found in the sea by the famous sponge diver Stavros Valsamidis.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Museum/Sea-world-museum-Valsamidis-102256374618834/

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
97 reviews
74 helpful votes
4. Re: Nice area on Kalymnos?
Save

Thank you everyone!

Fabulous information.

Highly recommend “ Mermaids singing” for a look back at the past!

Reply to: Nice area on Kalymnos?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.