We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended traditional Greek Tavernas

London, England
Level Contributor
357 posts
54 reviews
43 helpful votes
Recommended traditional Greek Tavernas
Save

Hi there

We like traditional Greek tavernas and would like the ones listed below. Which would you recommend and should we book in advance? We are arriving in Elounda on Saturday so would like to try at least 3 out of the four listed. We won't have a car but are happy to get a taxi there and back if needs be.

Palio Kantouni

The Hope

Perigali

Karambakious

Many thanks in advance.

14 replies to this topic
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
41,336 posts
435 reviews
1,871 helpful votes
1. Re: Recommended traditional Greek Tavernas
Save

The Hope is really good and I would book.

lincoln
Level Contributor
494 posts
49 reviews
70 helpful votes
2. Re: Recommended traditional Greek Tavernas
Save

we've only been to the Hope out of those 3 and same as Jock would heartily recommend it. family owned (they also own the beeraki pub next door), the whole family are lovely, and we had a great meal and (tipsy) evening with them all once we'd finished the meal.

England, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
3. Re: Recommended traditional Greek Tavernas
Save

I would personally only rely on views and feedback from people that have been to the tavernas in question - and look at a range of views. Check recent ones on TA and Google for example.

We have been to The Hope many times over the years. We also know the family very well including Dimitris. Sadly our last couple of experiences haven’t been great … one last year and just over a week ago when my wife was there. She had sardines that hadn’t been cleaned properly and were inedible. When she gave feedback she was told that the supplier prepares the fish and they just cook it. They took the cost of the sardines off the bill but my wife would have preferred to have paid and had a decent meal. Hopefully she was just unlucky - but it was disappointing.

We have been to Palio Kantouni on two occasions in the last couple of years and really enjoyed it. When we went late September last year they had closed early for the season - understandable in the circumstances.

We haven’t been to Karambakious yet but tried to book it a couple of years ago only to discover they only open Wednesday to Sunday (I think). My understanding is that it is a really good authentic local taverna in the little village up from Elounda.

I’ve not heard of Perigali I’m afraid, so can’t help with that one.

Edited: 01 September 2021, 03:27
London, England
Level Contributor
357 posts
54 reviews
43 helpful votes
4. Re: Recommended traditional Greek Tavernas
Save

Thank you so much for your replies and recommendations. This is very helpful. I can speak a bit of Greek too which I think helps!

I think we will definitely book The Hope and Palio Kantouni. There are so many lovely tavernas to consider!

Thanks again.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
7,837 posts
120 reviews
118 helpful votes
5. Re: Recommended traditional Greek Tavernas
Save

Hopefully this is permitted on TA. There are 2 Facebook groups which could also be helpful for you. "We Love Elounda" and "Whats on Elounda & Information"

Manchester
Level Contributor
131 posts
75 reviews
62 helpful votes
6. Re: Recommended traditional Greek Tavernas
Save

As has already been said, The Hope is fabulous and our favourite place to eat in Elounda. Amazing, traditional food, beautiful view and lovely, friendly service - just perfect. The Beeraki next door is brilliant for pre or post dinner drinks with the same wonderful view and lovely people again.

We tried Perigiali on our last trip and it is very popular with locals and tourists, especially for the meat dishes.

There is such a great choice in Elounda and I’m sure you’ll find other favourite places to add to the list. Enjoy!

Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Recommended traditional Greek Tavernas
Save

Karambakios is amazing. we went on our last hols and said we were vegetarian and he chose mezze for us. it was all amazing and not things we would have picked ordinarily. we walked from Elounda square

Louth, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
72 reviews
64 helpful votes
8. Re: Recommended traditional Greek Tavernas
Save

We’ve been to Perigiali, it’s on the road towards Plaka, but walkable. It’s known locally as the butchers shop, as it’s basically a meat restaurant with the meat being produced by a local farm. It’s very popular with the locals, and last time we were there, the special (lamb) had sold out, so would suggest booking, but the bbq food was great

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
18,426 posts
30 reviews
45 helpful votes
9. Re: Recommended traditional Greek Tavernas
Save

the place we ate in looks to be Perigiali on day 10 of my trip report but is under it's name in Greek.

It's by the narrow bit of beach as you start to leave Elounda and it matches up with TA photos.

I describe the wine and the food prices which are very cheap

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189416-i937-k10701358-Trip_report_for_Elounda_July_2017-Elounda_Lasithi_Prefecture_Crete.html

London, England
Level Contributor
357 posts
54 reviews
43 helpful votes
10. Re: Recommended traditional Greek Tavernas
Save

You've all been very helpful and can't wait to get there and sample the food wine and maybe the raki at these tavernas (and others!) When we went to Argostoli in Kefalonia recently, we had a lovely lunch at a traditional Greek place where there is no menu but you just go into the place and choose what you want from the various dishes on display. I remember a lot of these sort of places when I lived in Ierapetra many many years ago!

Reply to: Recommended traditional Greek Tavernas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Elounda
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.