We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zermatt December 5 to 8

2 posts
Zermatt December 5 to 8
Save

Hi! We are going to Zermatt in December. We are going only 4 days. We are going to rent a car in Paris and drive to Switzerland. We already have a hotel. But I’m really lost in planning activities. We want to ski and see the beautiful views and mountains. We are 5 adults and a 3 year old. I am looking for snow since my husband has never seen it. Are there places to rent ski equipment? Suggestions on activities? Anything that I should have in consideration?

7 replies to this topic
Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
54,706 posts
230 reviews
370 helpful votes
1. Re: Zermatt December 5 to 8
Save

You cannot drive to Zermatt. You are not allowed on the road between Täsch and Zermatt. Also - if you drive from Paris (especially in December!) it will take more than twice as long as taking a train to Basel and then connecting to Visp and Zermatt. (Not to mention the stress). Plus with 5 adults and a child who has to be in a (bulky) car seat one car won't do. You need two cars. Or a van - which would be a horror if there is snow on the roads. And if you rent in Paris, drop at Täsch or somewhere else in Switzerland you will have huge drop charges - like USD 1000 or more.

Yes you can rent, easily, ski equipment from sports shops in Zermatt. But what are you going to do with the toddler who doesn't ski? There are baby sitters and kindergartens but you need to plan for those - the Tourist Office can help with that.

Activities in addition to skiing - winter walking on prepared paths, sledding, ice skating, and pools and spas in hotels that take day guests. Again see the Tourist office for lists

www.zermatt.ch

rhode island
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
167 reviews
139 helpful votes
2. Re: Zermatt December 5 to 8
Save

If you have a hotel in Zermatt then contact them about ski rentals and child care. They likely have the answer for both. And take H.’s advice and take the train. A much better way to travel to Zermatt.

Santa Eulalia del...
Destination Expert
for Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
199 reviews
311 helpful votes
3. Re: Zermatt December 5 to 8
Save

Depending on the snow conditions prepare yourself for a reduced area to ski on compared to peak season. We have skied in early December for a few years running and have enjoyed Klein Matterhorn to Trockner, Sunnegga but not Rothorn, no link from Gant and some Gornergrat with no ski links to town; Enough to enjoy for a few days but fairly hard to get from mountain to mountain.

Edited: 08 September 2021, 22:41
Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
54,706 posts
230 reviews
370 helpful votes
4. Re: Zermatt December 5 to 8
Save

Conditions in December vary enormously from year to year. But the essential is in Zermatt there is always skiing on the glacier even if there is no snow elsewhere. However they do have good snow making.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
9 reviews
37 helpful votes
5. Re: Zermatt December 5 to 8
Save

Be aware that the person who has never seen snow, and anyone who has never been on skis, are going to need lessons, either private or group. There are a number of ski schools and your hotel can help you make arrangements as well recommending a sport shop for discounted equipment rentals. That said, I would say that people who have never skied should not try it unless they are prepared to make an expensive mistake. You simply do not have enough time to learn enough to enjoy the experience. While learning, you won’t notice the beautiful views and, likely, you will be overdressed and sweating rather than cold. You will be working hard to stay upright and move slowly.

Much better and a lot cheaper to try the other activities that let you enjoy the beauty of the mountains and the snow.

Zermatt, Switzerland
Level Contributor
919 posts
22 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Zermatt December 5 to 8
Save

Gotlegal knows Zermatt very well. Hi suggestion of booking an instructor is a good one. But it is a long time since he learned to ski (right Rich? 😉).

It isn't nearly as taxing as suggested. People can (and usually do) enjoy learning to ski from day 1. The Sunnegga beginners environment (simple access, very easy terrain, magic carpet lifts) makes learning less physical than it might have been in the last century. And it has the best Matterhorn views in town!

I know that, as a ski teacher, I might be biased. But I promise, even for beginners, staying upright and moving slowly really isn't hard work. More fun and, I hope, inspiring to come back and learn more too.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
54,706 posts
230 reviews
370 helpful votes
7. Re: Zermatt December 5 to 8
Save

I think that Gotlegal and I learned to ski more or less at the same time (he maybe some years later than I but not that many!!). And equipment was very different then. I learned on wooden skis (bought from Glacier Sport) with cable bindings. They are probably in museums now. Nonetheless it is SO important that beginners learn the "rules of the road" - how to behave on the slopes - and how to ride lifts, and how to stay within their limits. Paul - I wish they would all take lessons from you! In fact I wish I had been able to do that but....I was born too soon!!

Reply to: Zermatt December 5 to 8
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zermatt
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.