We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December Trip

london
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
23 reviews
15 helpful votes
December Trip
Save

Hi, we are flying into Milan at midday on 7 December. We will visit the city in the afternoon and then go to San Siro in the evening for a match.

We fly home on 9 December at 2100 and wanted to visit Lake Como. I was thinking of staying in Varenna on Wednesday and then visit the sites from there but not sure whether hotels etc will be open. If not should we just stay in Milan and do a day trip.

Many thanks

4 replies to this topic
Italy
Level Contributor
21 posts
1. Re: December Trip
Save

I recommend staying in Varenna, so you have more time to enjoy the area. That area in not as lively as in the summer but you will still find places that are open and you will avoid the crowds.

Enjoy!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
108,174 posts
440 reviews
364 helpful votes
2. Re: December Trip
Save

I don't think I'd want to visit Lake Como in December, but each to their own! I'm sure the views of the mountains will be great any time of the year, but for me Lake Como is all about sunny and warm days.

You will find places that can accommodate you, I'm sure. Don't overlook the western mid lake section. I've stayed there in the past and thought it was an excellent location. Mind you, one thing against it might be that the sun sets on that side...

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
13,479 posts
12 reviews
26 helpful votes
3. Re: December Trip
Save

What's attracting you to Como at that time of year? Personally, I'm shivering at the thought of that excessive cold and damp (ooooh, so damp). If I were you, I would stay in Milan and day trip if, and only if, you hit a nice sunny day.

london
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
23 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: December Trip
Save

Many thanks for your replies.

I will wait for nearer the time to decide once I know the weather. A day trip as suggested might be the better option if the sun is out.

Reply to: December Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lake Como
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.