We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Drivers license in Italy

Rocky Hill...
2 posts
International Drivers license in Italy

We are traveling to Italy in June. We are renting a car from the airport in Rome. Do we need an international driving permit or license? Last year we rented from Chiusi and didn’t need it but have been reading that it might be needed. All help is greatly appreciated.

Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
83 Reviews
from US$524.50*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,299 Reviews
from US$72.40*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,196 Reviews
from US$57.20*
10 replies to this topic
Italy
Level Contributor
8,918 posts
1. Re: International Drivers license in Italy

Legally it's required.

The rental company can refuse to give you the car without it.

If you get pulled over you might have a problem.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: International Drivers license in Italy

It is a permit, basically a document that states (in many different languages) that you have a valid driver's license. I got mine at an AAA office, where I presented my driver's license, had photos taken, and they did the rest.

When we rented a car in Puglia, the agent said the permit was for the police but I have read that a car rental agency "may" not let you rent a car without one.

To me, worth the cost

Australia
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: International Drivers license in Italy

You did need it, according to law. And that is likely to be of more weight to an insurance company than the thoughts of a rental agent.

Do note that it’s not a license, you must still carry your regular license. It amounts to a translation of your license, the only alternative to which is a translation issued by your embassy in Italy.

http://driventoit.blogspot.com.au/

aci.it/laci/driving-in-italy/driving-in-ital…

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,237 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: International Drivers license in Italy

There is no such thing as an international drivers *license*. You need the permit. You can get them at any AAA.

Donna

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,878 posts
140 reviews
5. Re: International Drivers license in Italy

The other point is that if the rental agencies has sold out on their cars they will ask for it in the hope you don't have one, then they are not to blame for refusing you.

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: International Drivers license in Italy

you definitely need the permit..you are unlicened if you are stopped by police..or for insurance purpose..and you don't have one..you have to get it before you leave home..you can't get one when you get to italy

Edited: 22 April 2018, 04:41
San Diego
Level Contributor
183 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: International Drivers license in Italy

The car rental agencies will not ask for it, which makes you believe that it is not required. I have never been asked for one. And, for some reason it is no longer required in some other EU countries (France)

But, you are supposed to legally have it for the police, if you are stopped or in an accident.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
618 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: International Drivers license in Italy

While we weren't in Italy, we were asked for it when stopped by police in Spain.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,718 posts
284 reviews
9. Re: International Drivers license in Italy

I just got one at AAA. It was $20 for the permit. I had the photos taken at CVS which was $15.

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: International Drivers license in Italy

After years and thousands kilometers of driving a rental car in Italy, my rental car was hit by a driver who ran a stop sign broadsiding me. Totally unexpected. I am very glad I had my IDP. The police did ask for it. If you do not ever need it, consider it a great souvenir of your trip.

Reply to: International Drivers license in Italy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted