We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roman Forum from Pantheon

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
123 reviews
Roman Forum from Pantheon

Can someone tell me how to get to the entrance of the Forum from the Pantheon area. I tried mapping it but I don't think Google is right in this case.

Thanks in advance

Lisa

Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
81 Reviews
from US$369.70*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,266 Reviews
from US$72.90*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,180 Reviews
from US$57.60*
10 replies to this topic
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,814 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Roman Forum from Pantheon

Have a look at your Google maps again. The entrance to the Roman Forum is directly across from the Colosseo.

From the Pantheon, then to Piazza Venezia, then you are actually walking along the entire length of the Roman Forum on Via dei Fori Imperiali until you reach the Colosseo and the entrance to the Forum.

It's a 31 minute walk according to Google.

Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
2. Re: Roman Forum from Pantheon

From the Pantheon building you go to Piazza Venezia, where the Victor Emmanuel Monument is located. From there you go the the Colosseum.

Walk along the west side of the Pantheon going south along Via della Rotonda. You will arrive at Largo di Torre Argentina, a square with ancient ruined temples. Continue south along this square and then east at the end of the square. This will bring you along Via delle Botteghe Oscure. You will soon arrive at the Victor Emmanuel Monument.

You go along the east side of the VE monument along Via dei Fori Imperiali. You will see the Colosseum in the distance. At the Colosseum there is the Arch of Constantine. If you look east from that arch you will see another arch inside the Forum. Walking towards that other arch will bring you to the Forum entrance.

You could get a bus such as the 64 from Largo Argentina to Piazza Venezia. There is a bus 118 that goes down Via dei Fori Imperiali to the Colosseum, except Sundays when that street is closed to traffic.

Edited: 21 April 2018, 02:02
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
123 reviews
3. Re: Roman Forum from Pantheon

Ok thanks

Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
4. Re: Roman Forum from Pantheon

Sorry, I meant if you look WEST from the Colosseum you will see the way to the Forum

Level Contributor
516 posts
5. Re: Roman Forum from Pantheon

If you want less walking, and a fun tram ride, from Largo di Torre Argentina get on Tram 8 (stop is Arenula/cairoli), transfer to Tram 3 (at stop Trastevere/min. P.istruzione), and get off at stop Parco Celio. the Palatine/forum entrance is to the west across via S. Gregorio.

here is a map of the Tram lines.

http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=5

Australia
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Roman Forum from Pantheon

Those instructions are for getting to the paying entrance to the Forum.

May I suggest that it will be more rewarding to follow the instructions in 2 to Via delle Botteghe Oscure (street of the dark warehouses) but instead of going all the way down to traffic raddled Piazza Venezia, you turn right into Via Aracoeli. Look at google earth rather than google maps. Search for Campidoglio, the Capitol. You will see that Aracoeli will lead you to the foot of the staircase leading to the Piazza Campidoglio, both by Michelangelo. In the back left corner, coming from the staircase, you will see a way around to a stupendous view over the Forum straight ahead, the forums of Trajan and Augustus to the left. Wander down to Via dei Fori Imperiali and turn right. Wander along towards the Colosseum with view down into the Forum.

Before you set out research those streets to get to the Campidoglio. Too many visitors miss the best, hurrying between the big things.

Open these in Chrome browser to be offered a translation

https://www.romasegreta.it/pigna.html

https://www.romasegreta.it/campitelli.html

Australia
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: Roman Forum from Pantheon

Having drawn you to the Campidoglio en route, from the Via Aracoeli, note that alongside the Campidoglio is the church, Santa Maria in Aracoeli, much older than Michelangelo's work, And you can compare the steps considered right in the 1300s with those of the renaissance.

Here is some history of the Piazza d'Aracoeli

https:/…27Aracoeli

You have to imagine, as in other parts of Rome, what these places were like before carved into by the modern.

There is 2800 years of history in and under Santa Maria in Aracoeli (from before the Roman forum took shape).

https:/…Basilica_of_Santa_Maria_in_Ara_Coeli

http://apps.acsa-arch.org/resources/proceedings/indexsearch.aspx?txtKeyword1=%22Deines%2C+Katrina%22&ddField1=1&sort=4

[click on the pdf symbol]

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
123 reviews
8. Re: Roman Forum from Pantheon

Wow so much information! I am so happy I asked. I have been wondering about the trams and electric buses as I get very sore shins from all the tourist walking. I'll have to read and look at the links you've attached in more detail tomorrow.

If I understand correctly we can go to the entrance and then go through the forum to an exit that is on our way back to our hotel. near the Pantheon so we can properly check in to our hotel.

I was wondering about the Trajan market and i wanted to go to the Basilica di Giovanna too.

All I know is there is more than we can fit in in 4 days so we. Will hAve to come back again.

But the coliseum is a must for me since I was a kid and I can hardly wait to finally see it with my own eyes

I LOVE TRAVEL !

Lisa

Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
9. Re: Roman Forum from Pantheon

The ticket you get for use on the bus or tram is the Metrebus BIT ticket, 1.50 Euro. You can get this at newsstands in the street - there is one at the corner of Largo Argentina - or at tabac stores.

It is very important that you validate, that is time-stamp, the ticket in the machine on board the bus or tram. The ticket is then valid for 100 minutes. You can continue a journey on another bus, within the 100 minutes, validating the ticket again. You can go from bus to metro or metro to bus, but you can only use the ticket once on the metro. If you don't validate the ticket there is a high risk of being fined by an official on the bus.

I think the BIT ticket is the most cost effective, as you can walk to most places in the historic centre. If you get a ticket or pass that covers a few days you may spend a lot more than necessary. I think it is a good idea to have a few extra BIT tickets in case you are not near a place selling them. The metro line B runs between Termini and Pyramide with a stop at the Colosseum.

Level Contributor
516 posts
10. Re: Roman Forum from Pantheon

You can exit the Palatine/Forum Archeological Area on the north side, to via della Salara Vecchia, which connects to via dei Fori Imperiali. (I believe the old exit to the west up onto the Capitoline Hill is still closed, it was last May.)

Trajan's Market is very interesting, but do it another day. A very large complex built of concrete and brick. I believe it is one of the oldest large structures with concrete cross vaulting. The Basilica San Giovanni is great too, especially the separate Baptistery. But for a four day trip, you might want to see what is closer to your hotel, whether art or churches or antiquities, or just walking around. You will have to visit Rome many times.

Reply to: Roman Forum from Pantheon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted