We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles to Rome (Indian Passport)

Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Los Angeles to Rome (Indian Passport)

Hello guys,

I am an international student from India studying in LA. I wish to take a trip to Rome. What are the steps I need to follow? Can I get a Schengen visa from LA for my travel or do I have to go to India first, get the visa and then travel to Rome?

All responses are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
83 Reviews
from US$524.50*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,299 Reviews
from US$72.40*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,196 Reviews
from US$57.20*
10 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Los Angeles to Rome (Indian Passport)

Discuss with the Italian Consulate General in LA

https:/…

https://conslosangeles.esteri.it/consolato_l…

https:/…prenota-online.html

You should apply there. Please note if you are going to more than one Schengen country, the country where you plan to spend the most time must be applied to for visa.

And make sure you are ok for re-entry to the USA.

Happy travels

Dennis

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
11,989 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: Los Angeles to Rome (Indian Passport)

You need a Schengen visa. If you have already a Schengen visa than you need to travel first to the country who issued it, afterwards you can go everywhere in the Schengen area.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,633 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Los Angeles to Rome (Indian Passport)

>>If you have already a Schengen visa than you need to travel first to the country who issued it<<

This is not correct. People holding a Schengen visa can enter through any Schengen country. Usually, the airport of entry will depend on which airline is being used.

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
11,989 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: Los Angeles to Rome (Indian Passport)

@sydney

Are you sure about that?

I see this on wikipedia:

Schengen visas can be issued by any country in the Schengen area. Travellers must apply to the embassy or consulate of the country which they intend to visit. In cases of travellers visiting multiple countries in the Schengen area, travellers must apply to their main destination's embassy or consulate. [121] If the main destination cannot be determined, the traveller should apply for the visa at the embassy of the Schengen country of first entry

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,633 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Los Angeles to Rome (Indian Passport)

Visitors have to apply to the country where they intend to spend the most time, but they can enter through any country.

Think about it. People travelling on Alitalia will enter the Schengen area in Rome, those on Lufthansa in Frankfurt, Swiss at Zurich, and so on.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
152 posts
36 reviews
6. Re: Los Angeles to Rome (Indian Passport)

I think question here is who will issue Visa being out of the country... which you can only check with Italian consulate..

Edited: 20 April 2018, 20:24
Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
11,989 posts
91 reviews
7. Re: Los Angeles to Rome (Indian Passport)

Normally the visa is issued by the consulate of your residence.

Australia
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: Los Angeles to Rome (Indian Passport)

Could you all please look at the links to advice from the Italian Consulate General in Los Angeles that I placed in 1 above, rather than running on hearsay. He applies there in accordance with very clear instructions.

Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Los Angeles to Rome (Indian Passport)

Thank you Dennis

Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
10. Re: Los Angeles to Rome (Indian Passport)

Thank you @floriani22, @sydneynick and thank you @Satkaj for bring back the discussion back on track. That's what i was looking for. Again, thank you all. Happy travelling!!

Reply to: Los Angeles to Rome (Indian Passport)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted