We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report

Strabane, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report

Hi so finally getting round to writing bit of trip report on recent holiday

We traveled with jet2 from belfast 20th -27th July staying at Hotel Tirrenia good 3 star Hotel rooms bit dated and bathroom very small but great location (just at end of Corso Italia )and great staff made this good choice for first vist

We arrived quite late at night 10.30 (hotel had left us cold meal of meat chesse ect

which was great) as we didn't have to find restaurant at this time of night

First day after good breakfast at hotel we set of to explore and see if all my months of planning and being on here going to pay off :)

Well didn't take me long to realise town was more compact than I thought and after 10 mins walk found ourselves in piazza Tassel and at Fauna Bar (this was first of many visits ) couldn't believe just like everyone on here said great for people watching and good way to spend hour never ate here but many nights we would walk Down here for cocktail ( lemon drop my favourite )

We took wee train around town just across from Fauno Bar with was great to get bearings and see marinas ect on way back up corso Italia we had lunch in Cafe Latino lovely restaurant set in garden and had gf menu ( I'm coliec ) had dinner in hotel as half board (Oh as well as Fauno bar Chaplins bar also on Corso Itatlia my other favourite bar ) irish bar run by 3 Italian fellas so friendly and reconised us after first vist and spoke to us even as we were walking past :)

Second day Sunday we decided to vist Pompei went on Campina Express thanks to advice from here great choice as lovely air conditioned clean train not many on it ( husband said it must be secret of TripAdvisor forum people as everyone else waiting for packed train lol )

We just bought tickets and went round ourselves with help of guide book I had bought spent around 3 hours which we found enough time to find most of what we wanted to see (amazing place and one on husband's bucket list) train back no problem and couldn't believe my luck when walking back from train station not far from enterence we found David' Gelato had lovely lunch salad ice cream ( best I ever tasted ) and glass of wine for around £10 each

Monday started off with thunderstorm which thankfully only lasted hour or so today we just spent day in sorrento going round shops and visiting cathedral went down to marina grande had lunch today in Ristoranti Sorrento down a side street lovely gf pizza but bit expensive at £ 70 for 2 mains tomato salad and 2 drinks just had after dinner drink in Chaplins bar as up early for trip to Capri

Had booked day tour with goldentours so got collected at hotel 7.45 down to marina piccolo for ferry to Capri ( on my bucket list ) didn't disappoint had fabulous day visited anacapri went to villa and had lunch as part of tour (extra £14) we also went on cruise around island (extra £15 )but highlight of day :) arrived back at hotel about 6 ish found it very good value f at £80 each

Next day we had beach day on peter's beach also had lunch here lovely fresh fish got sunbeds and umbrella but thought it bit expensive at £36

On last full day we went on ferry to Amalfi again very easy with the good advice on here visited Cathedral beautiful place after lunch at restaurant just in front of Cathedral (more gf pizza) good value £35 spent rest of day on public beach then easy to get ferry back to Sorrento tonight we decided to eat out and returned to Cafe Latino had lovely meal and restaurant lovely at night with lights

In garden (anfriendly cat) good value at £96 (well had to have bottle of Lacryma Christi) so after vist to our 2 favourite bars was end of last night in beautiful Sorrento

Just want to thank everyone on here for all great help and advice especially Eddie and Jonathan B and hello to Janetlittlebaby who we met in hotel sorry for such long post ( could have wrote more about wonderful Sorrento) longest post I ever wrote :)

10 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report

Thanks for the great post. Helps while planning our trip

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,991 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report

Thanks for sharing!

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report

Hi

Great trip report and I'm pleased you enjoyed Sorrento. I'm curious as to how you met Janetlittlebaby. We've met, se262014, twice by pure chance (lovely people) and I'm sure we must have met other TA regulars without knowing it:-) Are you going to put this thread into the Trip Report section or would you like me to do it?

Eddie

kesh co fermanagh
Level Contributor
42 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report

Great report you had a great week away now to plan for next year.Would you go back or go back to Lake Garda? Get to put a face to the name.xx

Strabane, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report

Thanks Eddie that would be great as I'm not sure how to do it ! So just met janetlittlebaby in hotel ( think it was my accent as we're both from N Ireland)

Strabane, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report

Hi janetlittlebaby

Yes great week , not sure yet did love Sorrento and think there's a lot I didn't get to see , but think will look into visiting another area in Italy maybe Lake Como

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report

We are there in 2 weeks for a great 3 week vacation.Can’t wait to open our first bottle of Tears of Christ.

san mateo, ca
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report

Thank you for your report, brings back memories! I agree how compact Sorrento really is. I remember "worrying" about my hotel being too far from the center (I stayed at Hotel de Ville) when in reality at the end of the evening the walk from center was no more than 10-15 minutes and it was all well lighted with lots of people out strolling. Glad you had a good time..

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report

Thanks for the great report. I'm GF and heading to Sorrento in May 2019. It helps to know I will be able to eat!

Houston
Level Contributor
67 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report

Thanks for posting and I like hearing about easier option getting to Sorrento via Rome & Naples!

Reply to: Trip report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sorrento