We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour or diy

northumberland
11 posts
Tour or diy

Hi I am going to sorrento in sept stating at the hotel Bristol.

I am confused re the amount of different tours available to the same place

1 do you think it is better to do an organised tour to Capri when going for the first time or simply getting the ferry over and doing the boat trip, tour around Capri yourself ?

2there are various trips doin the amalfi drive all different prices any recommendation which one when visiting for the first time ?

I would be grateful for some ideas .

16 replies to this topic
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Tour or diy

My experience with Amalfi coach trip ( includes Postiano and optional boat trip) with Tempio Travel was excellent.

You can check my review on them headed up ‘must buy excursion ‘.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
359 reviews
2. Re: Tour or diy

Have recently returned from our 6th stay at Hotel Bristol and hope you enjoy staying there as much as we do. It’s a lovely hotel with wonderful views and great staff.

In my opinion, it’s straightforward to visit Capri under your own steam, but you might prefer an organised tour with pick up from and drop off at the hotel. Check out TUI and GoldenTours, Sorrento. (On our first visit we booked an organised trip with Thomson ,now TUI) . You don’t have to book in advance, you can decide once you arrive. Read up about Capri so you have a good idea of its layout....Porto Capri - Capri Town -AnaCapri .... chairlift to the top of the island, plus the parts that might interest you. On the organised trip you’ll be given ‘free’ time so a little knowledge is useful.

The TUI trip along the Amalfi Drive is worth doing on a first visit to Sorrento, and that’s just what we did. It’s also easy to walk down to the station and take a coast to coast coach to Amalfi. You can also walk to Marina Piccola and take a boat to Positano, then on to Amalfi.....boat or coach back. There is a lift in the Communal Gardens (near Tramontana Hotel) that will take you to the Marina. This might sound complicated but it is very straightforward when you’re there.

Sorrento and Marina Grande are both wonderful to explore in the daytime and evenings.

Hope you have a very enjoyable visit. ☀️

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
359 reviews
3. Re: Tour or diy

Was hoping gucci was going to answer as the mini bus trip she went on sounds excellent.

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Tour or diy

Hi

Opinions vary and it's a personal choice which way you travel. We recently did the Capri trip with TUI and it was good but we've also gone DIY and it was also good. If you do the organised excursion you get picked up at the hotel and there is a minibus up to Anacapri so you don't need to worry about buses which are packed full or taxis.

Same with the Amalfi Drive. We've done the cheapest coach trip with TUI twice because it's good but it does not stop at Positano. We've also used the ferry, the bus and the Coast To Coast Coach. All great but we've given up on public buses on the AC route because they can be packed full with standing room only. When we first went to Sorrento we did a lot of organised excursions and we learnt a lot from the guides who are usually excellent. It's often cheaper to go DIY so it's up to you.

Organised excursions

www.goldentours.it/en/daily_excursions.php

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Pro…

My photo album below shows Sorrento and the area. Move your cursor onto each pic to see where it was taken in bottom left.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/eddie0/pi1707

CTC Coach

https://www.city-sightseeing.it/public/abb35…

https:/…

Ferries, the second website does not update often enough and it's always better to check with the source.

www.alilauro.it/en/departures-and-rates

www.positano.com/en/ferry-schedule…

Eddie

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: Tour or diy

I also love the Bristol, it's a lovely hotel.

Whether or not to use a tour is one of those "to thine own self be true" situations. It's certainly easy enough to get to Capri and back on your own and most of the island is pedestrian only, so there's not much value added for a tour once there.

That said, many people prefer the comfort of having someone else sweat the details, especially if you don't speak the language. Do what feels right to you.

kesh co fermanagh
Level Contributor
44 posts
91 reviews
6. Re: Tour or diy

We done the Amalfa coast with monda tours find it under www.sharedtours.com great trip remended by Rick Steves only €50 in a little minivan which had only 8 people.

Strabane, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Tour or diy

Hi

We went to Capri with goldentours it was our first time I found it good value at £80 each ,it was very hot and busy so was great to have mini bus waiting for us to go up to anacapri beautiful place with great veiws and a must when in Capri then after bit of walk around with guide we had free time then mini bus back down to Capri were u have another walk with guide and couple of hours free time , you also had option of lunch for a reasonable £14 and a cruise around island £15 (highlight of day ) full day 8.00 -6.00

h78
london
Level Contributor
203 posts
8. Re: Tour or diy

How much is the Amalfi coach trip please?

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
39 reviews
9. Re: Tour or diy

Hi

Which Amalfi coach trip? The one we did with TUI (or Goldentours) is about 38 euros with an optional meal in Scala for about 10 euros in an excellent restaurant. There is also an optional boat trip around Amalfi. We got picked up at the hotel. There are lots of other Amalfi Drive coach trips.

The Coast To Coast Coach costs 15 euros return from Sorrento bus/train station to Amalfi or Positano and an extra 6 euros if you get off at either place and back on again. You can also get a ferry from Positano to Amalfi for 8 euros. Another bus or coach can take you from Amalfi bus station up the hill to Ravello.

Eddie

h78
london
Level Contributor
203 posts
10. Re: Tour or diy

Thank you Eddie, i was interested in the coast to coast tour. How do i book this when I'm out there?

Reply to: Tour or diy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted