We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in July 2019, Lake Garda or Sorrento?

Bideford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in July 2019, Lake Garda or Sorrento?

I posted this question a while ago in the 'Italy' forum, but didn't get much of a response, so I am now posting it in both the Lake Garda and Sorrento forums :)

We are booking our honeymoon for 14 nights in July 2019, but I am completely stuck on whether to book Lake Garda or Sorrento as they both seem gorgeous.

We are a young couple (26) who would enjoy somewhere to relax, but with lots of options for day trips and sightseeing. We are also looking at going half board due to the length of time we will be staying, but we will be going out a few evenings for meals.

I have been reading these forums extensively to help me decide! I was originally set on Lake Garda, however the main thing concerning me is the weather, as I have heard the sub-tropical climate means you can get rain and thunderstorms, which would make me quite frustrated if we were stuck in the hotel for a lot of our holiday! This led me to look at Sorrento, however here i'm worried here about the business and large crowds in July!

We have narrowed it down to either the Hotel Eden Garda or Hotel Excelsior Le Terrazze in Lake Garda, but for Sorrento we are a little stuck! Our budget is really a maximum of £3800, which seems realistic for this time of the year in these areas. We are flying from Bristol (which narrows down our flight options as there is only 1 flight per week to Verona from Bristol with TUI, but quite a few flights to Naples with Easyjet)

I would MASSIVELY appreciate any help you could give. I'm finding choosing between these two locations more stressful than organising the wedding itself!

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Hotel Eden Garda
Hotel Eden Garda
331 Reviews
Garda, Italy
Hotel Excelsior le Terrazze
Hotel Excelsior le...
856 Reviews
Garda, Italy
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Naples
Naples
Palazzo Marziale
Palazzo Marziale
#1 of 102 hotels in Sorrento
Magi House Relais
Magi House Relais
#3 of 102 hotels in Sorrento
Maison La Minervetta
Maison La Minervetta
#5 of 102 hotels in Sorrento
15 replies to this topic
Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in July 2019, Lake Garda or Sorrento?

Hi

Congratulations. Yes, it's toss a coin. The Hotel Excelsior Le Terrazze in Garda Town is superb with an excellent swimming pool area but, imo, you have to book one of the top floor lake-view balconies because some of the other rooms are looking at trees or mountains.

Similar priced hotels in Sorrento, but with better views, are Hotel Bristol, Belair and Minerva. All a 10 minute walk to Sorrento Cathedral on a slight hill. Again, a sea view balcony totally enhances the holiday.

My photo album below shows some good hotels in Sorrento and the area. Move your cursor onto each pic to see where it was taken in bottom left.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/eddie0/pi1707

Enjoy your honeymoon wherever you choose. We alternate between holidays in Lake Garda and the Neapolitan Riviera, well, that's what they call it in the brochures.

Eddie

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Excelsior le Terrazze
Hotel Excelsior le...
856 Reviews
Garda, Italy
Garda
Garda
Sorrento
Sorrento
Hotel Bristol
Hotel Bristol
2,664 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Hotel Belair
Hotel Belair
1,424 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Minerva Hotel
Minerva Hotel
1,214 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in July 2019, Lake Garda or Sorrento?

They are completely different destinations, I enjoyed Sorrento but much prefer Lake Garda its just a personal thing. As well as Garda you could look at Bardolino, there are quite a few lakeside hotels offering rooms with views of the lake.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weather at the lake, yes as with anywhere that gets hot and humid, there is a chance of a thunderstorm which usually clears the air. In two weeks it would be highly likely that you would get a storm but these are usually short lived and then its back to normal. Its unlikely that you would be stuck in your hotel for much of your holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Garda
Garda
Bardolino
Bardolino
Bideford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in July 2019, Lake Garda or Sorrento?

Thank you EddieAndLynn01! It's funny you should use the phrase 'toss of a coin' as this is actually what my partner and I did last night, and it came up Lake Garda both times we tossed it, maybe that is a sign? :)

Yes we worked out that the difference in price between the Excelsior (standard lake view room) and Eden Garda would be about £600, so we just don't know if we can justify that much more, simply for a better view when we will be out and about most of the time anyway!

Mentioned in this post
Garda
Garda
cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,765 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in July 2019, Lake Garda or Sorrento?

These are two of our favourite holiday destinations (though, if I had to choose between them - Lake Garda has the edge for us..)

Just to let you know.. we’ve experienced as many storms in Sorrento as we have in Lake Garda - so don’t let weather be your deciding factor.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
614 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in July 2019, Lake Garda or Sorrento?

I don‘t honestly think ar Sorrento at all when is about „wedding tourism“ but if you compare lake Garda with the views from, e.g. Ravello, The Amalfi Coast wins, bar none. Villa Cimbrone, as an example is imho unbeatable, just have a look from the ‚terrazzo dell‘infinito‘ and you will for sure understand what i mean...

Edited: 17 July 2018, 00:00
Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37,604 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in July 2019, Lake Garda or Sorrento?

Congrats I’d go with Sorrento with a day trip to Capri.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in July 2019, Lake Garda or Sorrento?

Hi we did lake Garda in July/Aug and the weather was amazing there were no thunderstorms. We are off to Sorrento next Tuesday so cannot answer your question yet. However when we stayed in lake Garda we also got the train to Venice, which was a lovely train ride and cheap and stayed over night on a booking .com hotel. We also visited Milan and the football stadium. There were lots of options with the train.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
southport
Level Contributor
900 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in July 2019, Lake Garda or Sorrento?

I know this will not go down well but as someone who lived and worked in Italy for five years this is only my opinion, Lake Garda is an amazing place but the same can be said for Lake Garda as can be said for France, a beautiful place ruined by the locals, i dont know if its because they are so close to Switzerland but they are just not very italian, so for me it would have to be Sorrento, great food, great places to see and great locals

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
France
France
Europe
Sorrento
Sorrento
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,932 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in July 2019, Lake Garda or Sorrento?

Hi alchemist, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'Lake Garda ...a beautiful place ruined by the locals'.

Could you please explain what you mean and how the locals have 'ruined' Lake Garda?

Mentioned in this post
Garda
Garda
cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,765 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in July 2019, Lake Garda or Sorrento?

Yes, a very odd thing to say, alchemist - I’d love to know what you mean by it...

Did you actually live and work at Lake Garda?

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Honeymoon in July 2019, Lake Garda or Sorrento?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sorrento