We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days Madrid/suggestion for 3 other days (Seville/Valencia)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 days Madrid/suggestion for 3 other days (Seville/Valencia)

We are a family of 3 (2 adults around 50 and a teenager) and we are flying in/out of Madrid on December 25-January 3. We have never been to Spain before, except one of us to Barcelona multiple times for business. We plan on spending 6 days in Madrid (including 1 in Toledo) and are not decided about the other destination that we'll go to, by train, for 3 days. Barcelona, although obviously interesting, is not an option as one of us has gone often.

We are currently considering Seville and Valencia but are open to other suggestions too. We will do our own independent research but are open to any suggestions/insight. A little concern is that Rick Steves' Spain guidebooks -- one of the many sources we look at and usually enjoy -- doesn't even talk about Valencia, likely because he doesn't consider it a prime destination. Everybody is different, and it's just one person's opinion, but it is a concern to us as we had narrowed down our search to Seville and Valencia.

Ideally, we would like a destination for our 3-day side trip to be as different as possible as Madrid. A different experience, different ambiance, different sights, different look-and-feel, etc. Seville seems to fit the bill. Should we consider Valencia? Or another destination?

We like to walk and see the sights, a bit of museums but not just that, take in the ambiance of what we visit. Try local restaurants. Not into the party/bar/nightclub scene (too young or too old...!)

Any comments, suggestions, and ideas and welcome!

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
635 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: 6 days Madrid/suggestion for 3 other days (Seville/Valencia)

I noticed that Rick Steves doesn't say anything about Valencia & can't understand why. I have been there 14 times & plan to go again next year. It is a magnificent city with lots to see & do & I have friends there, making it even more special for me. My advice is to read up on both Valencia & Sevilla, look online at whatever pictures there are & decide on which city appeals more. All 3 cities are different from each other. You can't go wrong with either one.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
8,308 posts
1 review
2. Re: 6 days Madrid/suggestion for 3 other days (Seville/Valencia)

If you wish to experience the great difference between the regions of Spain, I would consider, from Madrid, a trip to Andalusia (Seville or Malaga) or a trip to the Basque Country (Bilbao, San Sebastian or both).

https://tourism.euskadi.eus/en/

South Portland...
Level Contributor
312 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: 6 days Madrid/suggestion for 3 other days (Seville/Valencia)

Sevilla is quite a bit different from Madrid, there's a lot more Moorish influence in the architecture, for example. There's also a good day trip to Córdoba from there.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,300 posts
3,815 reviews
4. Re: 6 days Madrid/suggestion for 3 other days (Seville/Valencia)

For trains:

https:/…Buying.Renfe.Tickets.Online.html

For Seville:

Seville is one of the cities in Spain with the most charm. A very good hotel in Seville is the Hotel Becquer (which has a garage), walkable to most sights. Use Booking.com to look at other hotels.

Must see places in Seville:

1. Church of El Salvador - One of the most beautiful Baroque churches. The ticket from this church allows one to also see the Cathedral and one can skip the queue there. Tickets available at 11 am.

2. Cathedral/Giralda Tower - The Cathedral is the third biggest church in Europe.

3. Alcazar - The palace rivals the Alhambra. See the King’s apartments.

For tickets: www.alcazarsevilla.org/horarios-y-tarifas/

4. Plaza de España - The most beautiful plaza in Spain.

5. Palacio de las Dueñas - This palace is beautiful and has just opened up for the public. This is the residence of the Duke of Alba. A wonderful place to see.

6. Casa de Pilatos - Beautiful palace with wonderful gardens. See the upstairs apartment.

7. Museo de Bellas Artes - One of the most important art museums in Spain.

8. Museum-Palace of the Countess of Lebrija - Has some of the best Roman mosaics in Spain. See the upstairs apartment.

A good flamenco place is Los Gallos (Plaza de Santa Cruz, 11). The main shopping streets are Calle Tetuan and Calle Sierpes. There is a large El Corte Ingles Department store at Plaza del Duque de la Victoria.

Good restaurants:

1. Cuna 2 (Calle Cuna, 2;Tel 954-211-107) - A large, elegant restaurant with traditional Andalusian decoration and with beautiful ceramic tiles lining the walls of the dining rooms. There is a beautiful bar at the top of the building.

2. Casa Robles (Calle Alvarez Quintero, 58; Tel: 954-213-150) - An elegant restaurant near the Cathedral.

3. For tapas, go to Mercado Lonja del Baranco (Calle Arjona, 24; Tel. 917-582-420).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: 6 days Madrid/suggestion for 3 other days (Seville/Valencia)

If you are looking for somewhere very different to Madrid, have you considered Salamanca. It's a beautiful old, characterful (university) town and you can find accommodation in some lovely historic buildings in the old town area. Ideal location for walking. If you take the fast train form Madrid, the quickest trip is a little over 1.5 hours.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
1 review
6. Re: 6 days Madrid/suggestion for 3 other days (Seville/Valencia)

Valencia is very worthy of coverage in a Spanish guide book, for it not to be included seems very odd indeed. It is a city worthy of a visit. I particularly like Valencia during the autumn months.

I agree that Seville, with a day trip to Córdoba could give you the contrast you are seeking.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
7. Re: 6 days Madrid/suggestion for 3 other days (Seville/Valencia)

Thank you all for your comments and insight. It is very much appreciated and helps us in planning our trip.

We have decided to stay 6 days in Madrid (including a day trip to Toledo) and 3 days in Seville (including a day trip to Córdoba).

Salamanca looks like it would be another interesting day trip for us and we'll keep it in mind although I don't think that we'll try to fit into our trip this time.

Thanks again!

Reply to: 6 days Madrid/suggestion for 3 other days (Seville/Valencia)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Madrid