We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid Itinerary Help Please - 7 Full Days

Orange, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
Madrid Itinerary Help Please - 7 Full Days

I am travelling to Madrid leaving Los Angeles on 11/12 and arriving in Madrid on 11/13 in the afternoon, I am departing Madrid on 11/21. I will be spending 11/13 - 11/16 in Madrid with friends for my Birthday then I am heading to Toledo for two nights on & 11/16-11/18. After that I need Help. I Really want to see the Alhambra, but I am not sure if that will work. I can either head to Seville by fast train from Madrid on 11/18 and stay in Seville from 11/18-11/21-taking a day trip to Granada all day on 11/20 or I can head back to Madrid from 11/18-11/21 and do day trips to Segovia and Cuenca. My question is, should I just stick to the areas around Madrid and explore there? or is Seville and the Alhambra worth traveling to for a few days? I feel like I may be being too ambitious trying to squeeze in Seville and the Alhambra and maybe there is enough for me to see in Madrid with day trips.

21 replies to this topic
South Portland...
Level Contributor
343 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Madrid Itinerary Help Please - 7 Full Days

It might be too ambitious to do Granada as a day trip from Sevilla; just the train ride to and from would take up about 8 hours.

A couple days in Sevilla would be good, but I'd rethink staying there until the day you are due to depart Madrid, perhaps come back the evening before your flight.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Madrid Itinerary Help Please - 7 Full Days

I agree with David.

On the other hand, Toledo is a small special city, which can be visited on a day trip from Madrid. If you are excited to spend a night, could be nice, but you don't really need 2 nights in Toledo, you can walk all city in one day.

I'd consider: 3 first nights in Madrid, 1 in Toledo, 3 in Seville, and last night in Madrid.

Good Luck!

Orange, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
3. Re: Madrid Itinerary Help Please - 7 Full Days

Toledo does look like a magical city I will look at cutting it to one night. Is there enough for me to do in and around Madrid for the full time? I am thinking I should save Andalusia for a trip of its own as I am only trying to fit it in for The Alhambra. I would love to see Seville, but wondering if my time is better spent seeing places like El Escorial/Segovia/Avila/Cuenca, I would be a female traveling solo so would it be easy and safe to take the train to these locations to help fill my time in Madrid or... is Seville a must see this trip? My flight doesn't leave until late afternoon on the 21st. Sometimes I think it might be better to imerse myself in one area than to scratch the surface of many.

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
208 reviews
4. Re: Madrid Itinerary Help Please - 7 Full Days

I'd save Sevilla, Granada-southern Spain for another trip but that's what I'd do. I'd concentrate on Madrid, Toledo. Segovia, Avila, Cuenca look nice. I guess it depends on your interests and how fast you sightsee. I like to travel/sightsee slow-especially in the churches/cathedrals and museums. We had a month in Spain and we only scratched the surface.

South Portland...
Level Contributor
343 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Madrid Itinerary Help Please - 7 Full Days

I would definitely think there is enough in Madrid and surrounding areas. In addition to Toledo, Segovia and Cuenca would be good day trips.

I've not been to Cuenca, but the train rides to Toledo and Segovia are fast and easy.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: Madrid Itinerary Help Please - 7 Full Days

If your main interest in the south is La Alhambra, you can do it, and instead of Seville, you can go from Madrid to Granada, spend a night and visit the Alhambra the next day.

In this case, you would spend more days / nights in Madrid and in addition to Toledo, in a day trip from Madrid you could go to Segovia.

And if you decide to do only Madrid and surroundings, you could go to: Aranjuez - Toledo - Segovia - Avila and Salamanca.

You have several options, and / or combinations, whichever you decide, it will be fine.

Regards

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,451 posts
3,815 reviews
7. Re: Madrid Itinerary Help Please - 7 Full Days

I would stay in Granada for two days if you want to see the Alhambra.

For Granada:

For Alhambra Tickets (Book early- at least 3 months in advance):

https:/…

If you are too late in buying tickets for the date you want, you can try calling your hotel and ask them to buy tickets for you, since the Alhambra allocates tickets to hotels for their clients. If this fails, you can buy the Granada Card for 40 euros, which includes a ticket for the Alhambra.

Downtown Granada is Calle Reyes Catolicos. Use Booking.com to screen hotels and apartments in the Granada City Center. A good hotel downtown with parking is the Vincci Albayzin. Shopping streets are Calle Reyes Catolicos, Calle Zacatin, and Calle Recogidas. There is a large El Corte Ingles Department Store at Carrera de la Virgen, 20. The Alcaiceria is beside the Cathedral and has many shops.

Good restaurant: Restaurante Chikito (Plaza del Campillo, 9; Tel: 958-223-364) - A gastronomic restaurant that has won many prizes for its food. Reservations are a must.

For trains:

https:/…Buying.Renfe.Tickets.Online.html

For Seville:

Seville is one of the cities in Spain with the most charm. A very good hotel in Seville is the Hotel Becquer (which has a garage), walkable to most sights. Use Booking.com to look at other hotels.

Must see places in Seville:

1. Church of El Salvador - One of the most beautiful Baroque churches. The ticket from this church allows one to also see the Cathedral and one can skip the queue there. Tickets available at 11 am.

2. Cathedral/Giralda Tower - The Cathedral is the third biggest church in Europe.

3. Alcazar - The palace rivals the Alhambra. See the King’s apartments.

4. Plaza de España - The most beautiful plaza in Spain.

5. Palacio de las Dueñas - This palace is beautiful and has just opened up for the public. This is the residence of the Duke of Alba. A wonderful place to see.

6. Casa de Pilatos - Beautiful palace with wonderful gardens. See the upstairs apartment.

7. Museo de Bellas Artes - One of the most important art museums in Spain.

8. Museum-Palace of the Countess of Lebrija - Has some of the best Roman mosaics in Spain. See the upstairs apartment.

A good flamenco place is Los Gallos (Plaza de Santa Cruz, 11). The main shopping streets are Calle Tetuan and Calle Sierpes. There is a large El Corte Ingles Department store at Plaza del Duque de la Victoria.

Good restaurants:

1. Cuna 2 (Calle Cuna, 2;Tel 954-211-107) - A large, elegant restaurant with traditional Andalusian decoration and with beautiful ceramic tiles lining the walls of the dining rooms. There is a beautiful bar at the top of the building.

2. Casa Robles (Calle Alvarez Quintero, 58; Tel: 954-213-150) - An elegant restaurant near the Cathedral.

3. For tapas, go to Mercado Lonja del Baranco (Calle Arjona, 24; Tel. 917-582-420).

Orange, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
8. Re: Madrid Itinerary Help Please - 7 Full Days

I think I have Decided to save Seville and southern Spain for another trip and I have found some pretty interesting places to see near Madrid I think I will do something like this:

11/13-Arrive in Madrid 3:00pm-Rest and have dinner

11/14-Explore Madrid and Birthday dinner with friends

11/15-Madrid in morning and take afternoon train to Toledo

11/16-Full day in Toledo

11/17-Train to Salamanca spend the night

11/18-Day in Salamanca and take afternoon train back to Madrid

11/19-Meet back up with my friends for a Day in Madrid

11/20-Viator tour of Segovia and Avila from Madrid with hotel pick up and drop off

11/21-Sleep in and Fly our late afternoon from Madrid

I think this could be doable, but I may cut out Salamanca just to go at a slower pace, but the city looks AMAZING.

Edited: 14 October 2018, 09:55
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Madrid Itinerary Help Please - 7 Full Days

The revised plan looks very good. I too would save the southern delights for a separate trip, if that would be a possibility in future.

I was going to suggest Zaragoza for an overnight trip, but as you've discovered Salamanca ... you'd have to choose .... between two great places ...!

Zaragoza (about 90 mins on fast train). because it was the northernmost point of the Islamic Empire for centuries until the 12th century and the Mudejar (Christian converted) architects continued to influence the city for centuries afterwards. There is a Moorish Palace, the Aljaferia, which though internally largely a reconstruction, is still beautiful, and most people don't realise there was anything like this outside of Andalucia. If interested, see my lengthy trip report from last year (5 days) on the Zaragoza Forum.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
80 reviews
10. Re: Madrid Itinerary Help Please - 7 Full Days

Bobbie: Your plan seems very good, enjoy your trip!

Reply to: Madrid Itinerary Help Please - 7 Full Days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted