We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe hotel area for seeing sites and getting to Real Madrid

Horndean, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
50 reviews
Safe hotel area for seeing sites and getting to Real Madrid

Hi, travelling with my 12 year old son. Getting to Madrid on the Friday and will go to the stadium tour. Will then have Saturday day to see a little of madrid before the game at 4.15pm and then have Sunday morning before flying out. Where is the best hotel neighbourhood so that in the evenings it is safe(in the context that I know its a city blah blah). Not sure if there is much to do near the stadium.

11 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Safe hotel area for seeing sites and getting to Real Madrid

not much to do around the stadium

madrid is a safe city. for convenience to sights, I like Huertas/Cortes neighborhood.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
1 review
2. Re: Safe hotel area for seeing sites and getting to Real Madrid

I am from the UK by origin and can assure you that Madrid at night is much safer than Portsmouth! Stay anywhere in the central area. Myscreen’s suggestion of Cortes/Huertas is good as it is an area with character and most places of interest are within walking distance. Other areas to consider are around Plaza Mayor, Recoletos, Opera. Take a look at accommodation options and then post back with a shortlist for more specific feedback on your chosen locations. Be aware that some locations can be noisy at night as Madrid has excellent nightlife which goes in until late, or early, as the case may be!

I have also been to several RM games and the atmosphere is very family friendly with lots of kids in the stadium.

Children are also seen out with their parents in restaurants and tapas bars until very late.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,451 posts
3,815 reviews
3. Re: Safe hotel area for seeing sites and getting to Real Madrid

The safest barrio is the Barrio Salamanca. You can be walking there at 2 am and you will be safe. This is where the rich people of Madrid live.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
1 review
4. Re: Safe hotel area for seeing sites and getting to Real Madrid

Benny: Why do you continue to give a misleading impression of the city? The are no unsafe districts in central Madrid and yet you continue to perpetuate this myth, along with your outdated views on what people should wear.

Level Contributor
419 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Safe hotel area for seeing sites and getting to Real Madrid

Salamanca is a district not a barrio and is neither safer or not than anywhere else in central Madrid. Parts of the Salamanca district are pretty far away from anything so I wouldn't recommend staying there, apart from maybe the Recoletes area. Madrid is a very safe and welcoming city and safety is not really a consideration when you're here.

In terms of where to stay I would definitely suggest the centre for a short visit so you can see as much as possible. The area around Santo Domingo just off Gran Via is a good option, or around Calle Arenal which is close to Opera, Sol and Plaza Mayor.

Public transport is excellent here so you'll be able to get the metro easily to and back from the stadium. There's not much else to see around there as it's mainly a business and residential area but it's a nice place to walk around.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Safe hotel area for seeing sites and getting to Real Madrid

Other than, what it's been said about Salamanca, also to add that it is a rich/posh neighborhood no doubt, but usually rich people of Madrid do not live all in Salamanca, not even a majority. There are far more richer places in Madrid, for example Piovera, El Viso, Aravaca and some others. Salamanca district is mainly apartments, while in those other districts there are big houses with gardens and swimming pools. And some of the richest people prefer those.

Surely all those neighborhoods are very safe, I would say more than Salamanca, but they are kind of far away from the city center so from a tourist point of view there is nothing to do there.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
1 review
7. Re: Safe hotel area for seeing sites and getting to Real Madrid

The OP is not asking where the rich people live, so I fail to see the significance of discussing where these people do, or do not live! Who cares! The OP is concerned about safety and not wealth.

Horndean, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
50 reviews
8. Re: Safe hotel area for seeing sites and getting to Real Madrid

Thanks for your input. Looking at staying between Sol and Opera metro stations. We arrive on Friday at approx 2.30pm, so I thought somewhere near the metro so that we can drop off bags and then get back to Bernaneu to do the stadium tour and then something to eat. Saturday morning go for a walk towards the palaces before heading off for the game at 4.15pm and then back to plaza de san miguel for something to eat. Sunday fly out.

New York City, New...
6 posts
9. Re: Safe hotel area for seeing sites and getting to Real Madrid

Hi,

As everybody said Madrid central is pretty safe, you will have no trouble in either of the disctrict like Opera, huertas, Malasaña or Latina; you do not need to go to Salamanca district.

If you want to do something fun and crazy, I did this activity with my two daughters and they loved it https:/…

Is not in the city center but if you want a surprise that will do it.

Have fun!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
1 review
10. Re: Safe hotel area for seeing sites and getting to Real Madrid

Japier: Strange that in the first 3 times you have posted that you have directed people to the same website - a little self promotion going on here I suspect!

Reply to: Safe hotel area for seeing sites and getting to Real Madrid
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted