We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping on a Sunday and other plans

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
90 reviews
Shopping on a Sunday and other plans

We have four full days in Madrid in November. Here are our basic plans - any suggestions welcome.

We are staying in Chamberi In the Hotel Orfila. The night we arrive is my wife’s birthday and we are dining in La Trainera ( my wife loves shellfish, we have been before and loved it)..

The next day we visit the Thyssen ( my wife loves art, been before and loved it) in the morning and then a general stroll round Gran Via and Chueca with some tapas here and there

The next day (Sunday) we were thinking of devoting to another of wife’s passions, shopping. The current plan is to stroll round barrio Salamanca and take in Museo Lazaro Galdiano. The main question I have here is will most shops in that area be open on a Sunday. Much as my wife likes El Corte Ingles, I am not sure even she would want to spend half the day there!. On Sunday night we indulge one of my passions, the lamb at Asador de Aranda.

Monday is devoted to a part of the city we have stayed in before, around Plaza Mayor, the Palacio Real and La Latina. We had hoped to go to San Francisco El Grande but I see it is closed on a Monday. Any alternatives most welcome. Cochinillo Asado on the menu ( we had thought Botin but as you may have seen in another post we are slowly being persuaded to think again)

Tuesday is Prado day! Can you eat, reasonably well, within the Museo? I can take about two hours of looking at paintings before my eyes get tired and need a break and obviously would prefer to pay the entrance fee only once, or is there such a thing as a day pass? Cannot see such a thing on the website. Our final night sees another of my wife’s favourite things, Paella de Marisco at El Barraca on Calle Reina. Can anyone recommend a nice place for a drink round there? We had looked at.a place called Angelita (?) on the same street but it seems to be more of a restaurant than a wine bar.

We will probably visit Madrid again (for a third time) , maybe as part of a grander tour around Northern Spain as we have visited the South before, so places like Segovia and El Escorial are for next time. Feel free to ridicule, sorry I mean provide useful advice to, our plans but as you can see my wife likes art, churches, eating and shopping, not necessarily in that order!

Mercado de San Cristobal
Gift & Speciality Shops
Amores Eternos
Gift & Speciality Shops
Nomada Market
Flea & Street Markets
15 replies to this topic
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
1 review
1. Re: Shopping on a Sunday and other plans

Sounds like a nice, leisurely pace and not over planned.

Salamanca is a very large Barrio so I am assuming you mean the shops in the Recoletos area of the Barrio - Calle Serrano and surrounding streets. Yes, shops open on Sunday, but not every shop will be open, but more than enough will be open to keep your wife occupied! There are also shops along Calle Goya, many of which will be open. If you get the opportunity drop into Platea for some lunch and drinks.

El Barraca is not top of my list, as I find they over salt their food for my liking, but we each have different tastes and that is just me! A couple of cocktail bars within walking distance are Bar Cock and Del Diego.

La Trainera is a good choice! Take a stroll along Calle Jorge Juan and checkout some of the restaurants along there for future reference which you might enjoy during another trip.

As for Botin, if you don’t mind being rushed and packed in, then go for it. For me it just seems to be clinging to it’s historical significance, and as the food scene in Madrid has moved on so much in recent years, there are so many other wonderful places to enjoy.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,368 posts
3,815 reviews
2. Re: Shopping on a Sunday and other plans

Shopping in the Barrio Salamanca: Calle Serrano, Claudio Coello, Ortega y Gassett, Calle Goya.

The Prado has a very good cafeteria.

Casa Lucio (Calle Cava Baja, 35; Tel. 913-653-252) is famous for its "huevos rotos" (broken eggs). Lucio is one of the most famous cooks in Spain and he recently came out on TV.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
408 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Shopping on a Sunday and other plans

Please post your trip report when you are done. I’m taking notes. We will be in Madrid for 4 full days plus New Year’s Day when nothing is open, and also celebrating my birthday. I like art and shopping and restaurants as well so thanks for the good trip outline!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
1 review
4. Re: Shopping on a Sunday and other plans

I have added some suggestions to your plan (to choose among them). The problem is on Monday because two important sights in La Latina are closed: the San Francisco el Grande museum and the Barefoot Monastery. You could move the shopping day to Monday but that day also closes the Museo Lazaro Galdiano.

Here is a map with my suggestions:

https://drive.google.com/open…

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
1 review
5. Re: Shopping on a Sunday and other plans

BelfastTaxman,

Since the Prado Museum opens on Mondays, what do you think of the Prado Day on Monday and La Latina Day on Tuesday?

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
90 reviews
6. Re: Shopping on a Sunday and other plans

Hi revulgo thank you very much especially for your map. Further planning seems inevitable!

New York City, New...
6 posts
7. Re: Shopping on a Sunday and other plans

Hi,

That sounds pretty good, if your wife like shopping, I will recomend you a place where you will find the same brands that you have in barrio Salamanca but with discount price.

https:/…

I hope you enjoy it!!

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
1 review
8. Re: Shopping on a Sunday and other plans

Japier: It seems to me like you are using this forum to promote a website/blog!

New York City, New...
6 posts
9. Re: Shopping on a Sunday and other plans

Hello LivyMad

I wrote a blog to help people who travel to Madrid, there is not ads on the site and is easier to have all the details in one site that to put it in every post. For example I nobody talk about Las Rozas Village on this post about shopping on Sunday and is an excellent choice.

If you think that is promotion, you have the right to voiod good content for the people that ask for.

Thanks and have a great day!

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
90 reviews
10. Re: Shopping on a Sunday and other plans

We have discount outlet stores.a bit like Las Rozas here at home. Places like barrio Salamanca have lots of interest beyond the shopping. I have just discovered Palacio Longoria (admittedly not quite in that barrio but not far) and my wife would enjoy admiring buildings like that whilst shopping, plus I rather assume the coffee is better as well in Salamanca (probably a lot more expensive as well but hey you pays your money and you takes your choice).

Meanwhile further research has indicated lots of shopping opportunities around Chueca and Justicia which are areas we rather missed last time in Madrid. For the sake of my credit card, let’s hope most of them are closed on a Sunday!

Reply to: Shopping on a Sunday and other plans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted