We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking tour

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
Walking tour

Is there any free and good walking tour of Madrid that any of you would recommend? We thought of skipping city sightseeing bus tours as it all just zips by, but if there are any particular ones that forum members truly enjoyed, please let me know.

Gracias!

10 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Walking tour

If you head to Plaza Mayor there is a tourist information office where they have different walking tours in different languages. they cost about 10-15 euros and last about 2 hours. I have done a couple of those and they are good (official accredited guides)

City sightseeing bus can be a good option if you want to have a first view/perspective of main Madrid's sights, so I would do it first and then maybe go back to the neighborhood or sight that you liked it. If you are doing the bus, make sure to choose a route that includes a Paseo de la Castellana drive, because it is something that people focusing on central Madrid do not often get to see.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Walking tour

myscreen123, I had the same question. The tourist information office tours- is there a way to find out ahead of time when the tours in English are? I'd like to just go there when a tour is about to start!

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
3. Re: Walking tour

myscreen123: Thanks for that tip regarding Paseo de la Castellana. You've whetted my curiosity! For the city sightseeing bus, is there any particular company that is recommended?

Thanks for the walking tour suggestion, too :-).

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Walking tour

Myself and my husband are visiting Madrid at the end of October. We always do walking tours wherever we visit . We usually book free ones where you pay the guide at the end, just the amount you feel appropriate. I have so far, through ‘Strawberry Tours ‘ booked the old town free walking tour and tapas tour. They have good reviews on Trip advisor .

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
5. Re: Walking tour

Thanks, Woody7123!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Walking tour

I got the hop on/off bus tour which was nice for seeing many sites easily. They include an audio guide with headphones that describes the places as they are driven past. Not expensive at all. As for walking tours, I’ve had success in many cities by searching free walking tour in x city. They’re always great.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
7. Re: Walking tour

Thanks, Erin T :-). Yes, we do the same, on our first day in any place. My only question is: any particular hop-on buses? I'm asking only because in other cities in Europe where we've been, there are many buses that come and go and each is operated by a different company. Some are very good, others … :-)

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Walking tour

this company is good …city-tour.com/en/tourist-bus-routes-madrid

and both routes are very interesting.

but you have many others, yes. They are all more or less the same, some small difference in price and in routes.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,238 posts
9. Re: Walking tour

Muchas gracias, myscreen123!

2 posts
1 review
10. Re: Walking tour

Yes! Go to walkli.com - they have excellent walking tours based on your interests.

Reply to: Walking tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Madrid